"The jet-set get-set for St Tropez" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez by NiceLife
Saint-Tropez Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 260 photos
As you begin your descent along the Riviera coast towards Nice airport, St Tropez is your first landmark. Here you see the tiny town snuggled in the "crotch" (yes, I think "crotch" is the appropriate description) of the sweeping curve of the Gulf of St Tropez, with the Venice-style canal network of Port Grimaud and modern resort of Sainte-Maxime opposite. In the distance, the dreary endless holiday apartment blocks of Frejus and St Raphael.
Getting here is the first real challenge. In Summer the roads are choked, one road in and out. The railway does not go anywhere near St Tropez - St Raphael is the nearest stop. The stars limo or helicopter in, and the most famous will moor a large rented yacht and shuttle in and out by tender. For most mere mortals two wheels or excursion boat is the only practical way in.
St Tropez town is tiny - it takes all of about a half hour to see everything. Around the hinterland are St Tropez's beaches, the famous Pampelonne and Club 55, where the stars drop by.
To the rear, the snow capped mountains - the Alpes Maritime of Provence add drama in the distance, and behind towards Toulon and Marseilles, the red terracotta rocks of the Massif d'Esterel. St Tropez. The ultimate playground of the Riviera awaits you.
I think I hear the bell for start of playtime.
The first thing that strikes you as you unload at the harbour of Saint Tropez is the coexistence of style and the image of style. Blue sky meets paintings with blue sky. Art and the Art of Living well.
I am not sure many people actually buy the paintings, but the bohemian arty association is part of St Tropez charm and character. What better excuse to loaf around this pleasure centre of the Riviera than to be "something of an artist"?
The harbour front patisserie Sennequier offers you a front-row seat on the moving spectacle that is Saint Tropez. Watching in or watching out, everyone is on parade. Here, the first-wives club meet around lunchtime to sip at low calorie fare and gossip.
Tropeziennes are living the ultimate fantasy life: glamour, pleasure, young style, effortless wealth (money made elsewhere, naturally, lots of it, and preferrably by someone else), a sense of being in the centre of a most desirable place.
The Sixties were born here with Bridgitte Bardot's "And God created woman" (and a pretty good job he made of it, if Tropeziennes are anything to go by!). If you are not a starlet you must at least look like one. Anonymous fat people in baggy sportswear with rucksacks? Why not complete the ensemble with a big sign round your neck that shouts "Day-tripper!" Everyone here is sleek and cool.
Here for the season, all eyes hidden behind dark glasses casually scanning everyone passing by. The chance of a minor celeb here. People are the magnet that draws people here. Do you look like someone famous?
- Pros:The Theatre of Life, with you in the front row
- Cons:Ouch! I asked for the bill, not the phone number!
- In a nutshell:Its hard to get here, and equally hard to leave
Coming from Nice generally, the lure of a trip to St Tropez is hard to resist. If the timing of the daily boat from Nice... more travel advice
High speed boat taking two and a half hours from Nice Port to St Tropez. The boat leaves Nice at 9.00 am, so they tell... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Saint-Tropez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Luxury at its best"
- "The jet-set get-set for St Tropez"
- "Saint-Tropez - fishing village and Jet-Set"
- "Nicer than I expected - Very nice actually"
- "St Tropez"
- "St Tropez"
- "Et Dieu crea..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Tropez
- Hotels in Saint-Tropez
- Transportation in Saint-Tropez
- Nightlife in Saint-Tropez
- Restaurants in Saint-Tropez
- Shopping in Saint-Tropez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Tropez
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Saint-Tropez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Tropez
Photos in Saint-TropezSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 249 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos