"Matisse's Vence" Vence by NiceLife
Vence Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 62 photos
You buy pastry from a patisserie. So you get your Matisse from a Matisserie, right?.
The main reason to visit Vence is the legacy of Matisse, where a number of his masterworks are to be seen.
Here is the wonderous stain glass of his Chapelle du Rosaire, which he described as the culmination of his lifes work,created while he was in his eighties. Everything is white - walls, ceilings, doors, except for the lemon yellow, bottle green and ultramarine of the glass, flooding the chapel with calming coloured light.
Matisse was nursed through his final years in ill-health here in Vence by a former model of his, who had joined the convent next door to this chapel
The chapel is a brisk walk out of Vence, which also gives you the chance to see the whole of the town from the hillside opposite. Vence is perhaps better looked at from outside than from inside looking out.
Not to be seen as just a one-artist town, Vence resident Marc Chagall executed this beautiful mosaic of Moses in the Bullrushes fittingly overlooking the baptistry font.
In 1971 all the members of The Rolling Stones moved to the South of France as tax-exiles. Bassist Bill Wyman ended up staying a dozen years. In Vence, near St Paul , he bought a plot of land, built a house, and then found himself near Marc Chagall. Chagall was in his eighties by then, but he and Bill quickly established a warm friendship., celebrated in the limited edition photography book "Wyman shoots Chagall"
Other rock residents include Jon Anderson, lead vocalist of 80's band Yes, who created a recording studio in a converted farmhouse near Vence.
Within the Chapel of the Penitents can be seen Matisse's Stations of the Cross as a grossly-simplified black and white sketch. Entrance is free.
- Pros:St Paul de Vences older brother
- Cons:Perhaps lacking the charm and intensity of St Paul
- In a nutshell:Artists works and some interesting views
At the Rond Point of Vence, near the bus terminus, visitors to Vence will be greeted by this striking large urban... more travel advice
One of the lovely private villas off the Avenue Matisse, on the hill facing old Vence and the valley from which the town... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Vence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval Splendor"
- "Matisse's Vence"
- "Vence has an Old Town and a newer town"
- "Beautiful walled town"
- "Charming Saint-Paul-de-Vence"
- "A beautiful village"
- "St. Paul de Vence"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vence
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Vence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vence
Photos in VenceSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos