"The charm of Villefranche-sur-Mer" Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer by NiceLife
Villefranche-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 232 photos
Winding lanes, rich mediterranean colours, all the charm of this pretty "village" which claims Tina Turner as a resident, though it must be said I have never seen her come down from her estate high above in the hills.
You can sunbathe on the coarse sand of the wide beach, swim the calm waters of the bay sheltered by Cap Ferrat on one side and the Cap de Nice on the other , and then retreat to the relaxing cafes or one of the pretty restaurants that line the harbour, for a light lunch, something to drink, or treat yourself to some great ice cream sundaes. There is a vibrant international local community resident in Villefranche, as well as regular visitors for whom its a favourite haunt, many from across the Italian border and Monaco. The limited number of tourist hotels mean it remains rather priviledged and exclusive, without being overly expensive.
There's plenty of local history to explore, some remarkably interesting permanent art exhibitions - free entry. The ambiance is sophisticated, friendly, and safe due to its "human scale" - resident population max 30,000, compared with 300,000 in Nice around the bay.
Nothing is over- commercialised, no junkfood, jet-ski, para-gliding or watersports antics to ruin the calm enjoyment of the Med. For eating out, there is little here you would call "cheap", but there is a good range choice between the "moderately expensive" and the pretty expensive. If you want very expensive, there is always La Reserve at Beaulieu , provided you look sufficiently respectable to be let in.
Villefranche describes itself as the "Paradis d'Azur", and its not far wrong.
Jean Cocteau, inspirational artist and film director came here in 1925 staying at the Hotel Welcome. Villefranche then was a centre of literary and artistic activity, with Stravinsky was living not far away. and actress Isadora Duncan a frequent visitor, before her meeting with a scarf, an open top motor car, and destiny, outside the Negresco, Nice.
Opposite the Cocteau church, the Hotel Welcome is virtually unchanged since the nineteen twenties, with its air of graceful decay. Around it are the excellent cafe/ bars Le Cosmos and Les Palmiers. Those in the know will sometimes drop in on Le Cosmos just for one of their divine desserts - Tarte Tatin or pomme crumble, a shared pichet of rose, and large serving of peoplewatch.
Around the citadel you can find your way to the charming and unhurried Port Darse, where more casual alfresco cafe setting awaits at the Baleine Joyeuse at the waters edge.
Relaxed atmosphere, mediterranean colours, elegant people, amazing vista onto Cap Ferrat, unspoilt.
If you are in the mood for a little walking from here you can leave by the far side of the beach and walk on to Cap Ferrat or along to Beaulieu, past exclusive and secluded private villas with names like "Les Pieds dans la Mer" and Nellcote, briefly home to the Rolling Stones in their 1970's tax exile. Stroll around Cap Ferrat, visit The Villa Rothchild, and Kerylos at Beaulieu - all within walking distance (American comedian Stephen Wright once wrote "everything is within walking distance - if you have enough time").
- Pros:Sandy beach, sheltered swimming, quiet and accessible from NIce
- Cons:can be overrun by families with young children in peak holiday times
- In a nutshell:Charming and relaxing
A regular weekly brocante (bric-a-brac) market is held mostly Sundays but sometimes other days in season, in front of... more travel advice
Perfectly located at Port Darse, a modest two star that offers you the charm of Villefranche on a tight budget. Sea... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Villefranche-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The charm of Villefranche-sur-Mer"
- "Cocteau's Villefranche sur Mer"
- "Beautiful Villefranche-sur-Mer!"
- "Villefranche-sur-Mer, France"
- "Qu'elle ne change jamais"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Transportation in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Shopping in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Warnings and Dangers in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 30 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 67 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Villefranche-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Posted in Travel Nice Forum "Re: Bus from Nice to Menton"
- Wrote a Review Hidden Gem in Villefranche-sur-Mer Hotels
- updated a Villefranche-sur-Mer Travel Page "The charm of Villefranche-sur-Mer"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cruise liners replace aircraft carriers in the bay"
- Commented on one of NiceLife's Villefranche-sur-Mer travel pages
Photos in Villefranche-sur-MerSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos