"Rottnest, but the Australians say "Rotto"" Top 5 Page for this destination Rottnest Island by bryINpoland
Rottnest Island Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 542 photos
Rottnest Island is located about 12 miles offshore of Perth, Australia. An island known worldwide for its awesome beaches with crystal clear water, its a must see when in Western Australia.
Rottnest was named by the Dutch explorer William de Vlamingh, who came across the island in 1696. Though not the first to step on the island, since it is believed that earlier European explorers have shipwrecked off its shores, He was the first to Document his discovery. He named it Rottnest because of the rat like creatures (known now as Quokkas) that he and his crew found on the island. The island is filled with them!
Though William de Vlamingh, gets the credit as one of the island first explorers. Recent explorers of the island have uncovered fossils dating back more then 6500 years ago of that of the Aboriginal people.
The most famous time period of Rottnest Island, is that of the early to late 19th century when the island was used as a prison for the Aboriginal people. For nearly a hundred years they served sentences on the island in buildings that still stand today.
Rottnest is a place filled with history, and beauty. Its a place calling to be explored and re-explored over and over again. I just went to see the beaches, but discovered there was much more to the island...
Putting the beaches and history aside, Rottnest Island is also filled with fascinating creatures around every corner of the island. More about that through the Rottnest pages though.
Heres a shot of me and a friendly snake i met along the road while cycling to the West End of the island...
Click on the following link, for my Rottnest Island map....Rottnest Island Map
Pinky Beach is located just behind the Bathurst Lighthouse, about 3km from Thomson Bay. It's nice to just sit on this... more travel advice
Just another look at North Point, this picture takin of Nadine with North Point Beach behind her. more travel advice
bryINpoland's Related Pages
Rottnest Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Rottnest Island"
- "IMPREXXION: ROTTNEST ISLAND"
- "Rottnest, but the Australians say "Rotto""
- "Rottnest Island ~ Island of the Quokkas"
- "Rottnest - A great day out in Perth!!"
- "Rottnest Island"
- "Perth's playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rottnest Island
- Hotels in Rottnest Island
- Transportation in Rottnest Island
- Nightlife in Rottnest Island
- Restaurants in Rottnest Island
- Shopping in Rottnest Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Rottnest Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rottnest Island
- 22 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Rottnest Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rottnest Island
Photos in Rottnest IslandSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 86 reviews, 111 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 48 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rottnest Island Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos