"Redcliffe, Life is easy here" Top 5 Page for this destination Redcliffe by ASTIEL
Redcliffe Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 74 photos
Before European settlement in 1824, the area now known as Redcliffe was inhabited by Aborigines who took full advantage of the foods that could be easily found in and around its waters.
Due to its location on Moreton Bay, Redcliffe was selected as the spot for the colony?s new northern penal settlement. The brig Amity landed in Redcliffe on September 13, 1824 carrying settlement commandant Lieutenant Miller, explorer John Oxley, crew and convicts.
When the decision was made to relocate the settlement to the banks of the Brisbane River in 1825, Redcliffe was deserted and remained so until the 1860s when the area was declared an agricultural reserve.
Redcliffe underwent a significant land boom in the 1880s and quickly gained a reputation as a seaside resort.
Improved roads and the opening of the 2.8 kilometre Hornibrook Highway in 1935 allowed more and more people to experience the magic of Redcliffe.
Redcliffe was no longer considered isolated - and so the city grew.
Today, Redcliffe is a modern city that still possesses the charm and beauty of a small seaside holiday town. The mix of old and new continues to make the city so inviting to locals and visitors alike.
- Pros:layed back lifestyle, nice people and good fishing
- Cons:Not to much night life
- In a nutshell:Rocks and ripples, but its so layed back
The seaside city of Redcliffe will serve up lashings of history, culture and entertainment on Sunday, September 5 at... more travel advice
Through out the year the pace way is fairly quiet, home to the Wednesday night trotts, BUT twice a year the old pace way... more travel advice
ASTIEL's Related Pages
Redcliffe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Redcliffe, Life is easy here"
- "REDCLIFFE - A relaxed peninsular in Brisbane"
- "Daytrip to Redcliffe Peninsula"
- "SEASIDE REDCLIFFE"
- "Redcliffe Peninsula"
- "A wonderful get-away destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Redcliffe
- Hotels in Redcliffe
- Transportation in Redcliffe
- Restaurants in Redcliffe
- Shopping in Redcliffe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Redcliffe
- 5 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Redcliffe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Redcliffe
Top 5 Pages
- Brisbane Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos
- Taree Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Sydney Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redcliffe Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos