"Here be dragons" Ljubljana by GillianMcLaughlin

Ljubljana Travel Guide: 1,964 reviews and 4,415 photos

A few hours in Ljubljana

My very short visit to Ljubljana was a great testament to the wonderful friendships that develop through VT. I was met off the plane by VTer Kristina (KristaB) whose knowledge and enthusiasm for the city which has become her home, are infectious, very infectious.

In the space of a few hours I marvelled at the fine architecture, heard legend of the connections between Ljubljana and the dragon that has become its symbol and caught a glimpse of the daily life of this charming city centre.

I was enchanted in particular by the castle, which has become a hub of activity for the local people rather than be relegated to a simple tourist sight. I nosed around one of the greatest markets I have ever encountered and tripped over pavements as I spent my time walking and looking up at the wonderful buildings that surrounded me. All of this in the company of a new friend whom I felt I’d known forever.

It was a wonderful day in a wonderful place.

• Pros:A pocket-sized city which welcomes the curious visitor
  • Cons:If there are any, I didn't stay long enough to find them
  • In a nutshell:Enough seen in a few hours to know that it's worth a return visit
  • Last visit to Ljubljana: May 2004
  • Intro Written Jun 5, 2004

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Hello,Gillian ! Very impressive indeed! Thanks for your page and pictures.....

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 2:35 AM

Very nice page, that staircase looks very interesting ;-)

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2006 at 11:24 AM

I kind of figured thats what it was. :o)

• alza's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2006 at 1:15 PM

If I were a bee, drunk on nectar, I'd never find my way home with these charming doorways! Can't understand them but love them! Think it was at Preseren Sq that I met oja, at the feet of the poet? Very nice and true hommage to Ljubljana!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2005 at 9:30 AM

brought back some great memories. great page

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 4:25 PM

A little history, some modern culture, a market, a tasty meal - all in good company - sounds like the perfect whistlestop visit to me. Nice page! leyle

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2005 at 8:04 AM

Great, informative tips, nice photos...everything needed for the perfect page! Regards, Vesna

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2005 at 2:02 AM

You have written some very useful tips. Ciao!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2005 at 2:20 PM

Haha, your candles story reminds me a concert by Theodorakis. At one point it was so wonderful, that people began to dance and clap their hands. My Greek friend was deeply shocked because at that moment the song was telling a very very sad story !

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2005 at 10:44 AM

Really enjoyed your pages Gillian. I decided to wander in your footsteps as I finished off the last of my Lemon Curds. So, Krista does 'not' have two heads?? Pa

GillianMcLaughlin

“This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway.”

Badges & Stats in Ljubljana

Have you been to Ljubljana?

Latest Activity in Ljubljana