Nepal Shopping Tips by GillianMcLaughlin
Nepal Shopping: 74 reviews and 77 photos
There are many shops selling Thankas in and around Kathmandu. Thankas are paintings, traditionally created by Buddhist monks as a form of meditation. They are amazingly intricate, and a good one is a fantastic souvenir to take back.
The most intricate depict the "Wheel of Life", the passage of the soul to Nirvana: seven rings arranged according to the phases of passage, for example fire, lotus etc.
What to buy: The secret is to find a good thanka and to know what you're looking for. Prices vary enormously, as does quality. Some come from real Buddhist monks, some are done by students in special schools and others are rip-offs.
The main give-away is the amount of detail. They are incredibly intricate. On the Wheel of Life, check the little buddhas: if they have individual faces and discernable fingers on their hands, you are on the right track.
What to pay: The bigger they are, the more work has gone into them and the more they are likely to cost. Smallish ones (30 X 60 cm) can take a month to complete. In 1997 I spent 140 USD on two. I took them to a wonderful framer in Brussels, a company that undertakes framing for the main galleries and museums. They have seen many thankas over the years but they commented that my two were some of the best examples they had framed.
Address: Street names in Kathmandu!
Directions: With your back to the living goddess walk up the street ahead - there is a collection of thanka shops on your right.
More Reviews (10)
- See All Pashupatinath # 4 - sites accessible to...
- Central KTM and no noise - great views
- See All And if you do fall ill...
GillianMcLaughlin's Related Pages
Nepal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Love Affair with Nepal"
- "The Himalayan Kingdom"
- "Namaste, Naya Nepal!"
- "..dramatic nepal.."
- "Nepal, A country I have to visit again : and I did"
- "Nepal, Culture & Trekking"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nepal
- Hotels in Nepal
- Transportation in Nepal
- Nightlife in Nepal
- Restaurants in Nepal
- Shopping in Nepal
- Warnings and Dangers in Nepal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nepal
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Nepal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nepal
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Friday VT Pub"
- Commented on one of mad4travel's Nepal travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "And if you do fall ill..."
- Wrote a Review Pashupatinath # 4 - sites accessible to all about Pashupatinath in Nepal Things to Do
- updated a Nepal Travel Page "Of temples, mountains and elephants"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szeged Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Bled Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Berlin Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lijiang Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (107)
- Pokhara- 38 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Trekking- 47 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Royal Chitwan National Park- 20 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Kathmandu- 62 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Pashupatinath- 33 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Mountain Flights- 20 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Bhaktapur- 26 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Patan- 23 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Mount Everest- 11 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Bodnath Stupa- 18 Reviews, 44 Photos
See All Nepal Things to Do