"Szeged: a key area in Hungarian history" Top 5 Page for this destination Szeged by GillianMcLaughlin
Szeged Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 139 photos
I was invited to Szeged for work. Until I arrived I had little idea about the place at all. I knew that the city enjoyed a good reputation for its universities, but beyond that, nothing whatsoever!
I was collected by one of the conference organisers at Budapest airport and we set off on the 2 hour journey to the south of Hungary. In the course of this journey I learned a few basic facts: the city had been devastated at some point by a serious flood; various seats of learning in the city had recently been united; the region suffered badly from a lack of infrastructure - a recently-built motorway stopped some 60 km short of Szeged, limiting its attractiveness to tourists and businesses alike.
Upon arrival I was booked into a stunning hotel right in the centre of the city, located on one of the main squares, and left to my own devices for around 4 hours. I had the chance to locate the tourist office, and perhaps a bookshop that might have a guide to the city that I could understand. I discovered that the guides to Hungary devoted little more than a page to Szeged, and otherwise all I could locate were coffee-table picture books! Indeed since starting to build these pages I have had considerable difficulty in locating significant information in a language I can read... so I give you as much as I can now and will add any details I discover over time.
So off I set with no information and spent some time just looking, and eating and drinking coffees. As it turned out I needn’t have worried about a lack of local-knowledge. The conference organisers were the most amazing hosts who gave us lots of information about their city.
I hope you enjoy your short visit to these pages as much as I enjoyed my two and a half days there.
My visit to Szeged had many facinating aspects, which I hope to share with you on these pages.
At only 2 and a half hours from Budapest by train or car, it makes a good destination for an extended holiday in Hungary, and an excellent stop-off point for overlanders heading north or south through Central Europe.
These pages may take me a little time to complete. Please do come back and enjoy!
- Pros:Entirely untouched by foreign tourism
- Cons:Still trying to think of one!
- In a nutshell:A worthy place to spend some time
This hotel is a throwback to the days of glamourous travel: enormous chandaliers light the corridors, breakfast is... more travel advice
The National History memorial Park is home to a remarkable work of art. One of only 18 remaining in Europe the Feszty... more travel advice
GillianMcLaughlin's Related Pages
Szeged Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Szeged: a key area in Hungarian history"
- "Its not just Budapest!!!"
- "Szeged-City of Sunshine"
- "TWO TOWERS"
- "Szeged, the shoping center of ex Yu during 1980's"
- "Days spent relaxing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Szeged
- Hotels in Szeged
- Transportation in Szeged
- Nightlife in Szeged
- Restaurants in Szeged
- Shopping in Szeged
- Warnings and Dangers in Szeged
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Szeged
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Szeged?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Szeged
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Friday VT Pub"
- Commented on one of geminifire2005's Szeged travel pages
- Wrote a Review Decaying grandeur par excellence in Szeged Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Decaying grandeur par excellence"
- updated a Szeged Travel Page "Szeged: a key area in Hungarian history"
Photos in SzegedSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szeged Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Bled Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Berlin Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lijiang Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos