"A flying visit - but one that it etched on my memo" Province of British Columbia by GillianMcLaughlin
Province of British Columbia Travel Guide: 8,679 reviews and 19,679 photos
Well. I have to admit that Canada has featured on my list of possible destinations for quite a while, but my first visit came about thanks to the fact that a very good friend of mine moved to the States and settled in Portland, Oregon.
So I had to go and visit her.
And just at the time that visit became feasible, Bob Dylan was touring and would be in British Columbia.
"Hmmm" I thought, the way one does.
So, before I knew it really, Robert and His Darbiness had stepped into the breach and offered me unputdownable offers of good company and more.
So I did.
Dylan was playing in one place I had heard of - Vancouver - and I had heard great things about this city.
"Hmmm" I thought, not for the first time.
He was also playing somewhere I had never heard of before: Kelowna. His Darnbiness reassured me that this would be a worthwhile detour...so off I set.
Well Having successfully crossed the full height of Washington State, including a completely-by-chance stop-off in a roadside coffee cabin staffed by someone who grew up 10 mile from where I grew up, I reached the frontier -Blaine.
In true VT-style, my conversation with Canadian immigration went something like this:
Him: Hi, where are you going?
Me: To Vancouver
Him: Business or pleasure?
Me: Hum... well to see a Bob Dylan show.
Him: (raised eyebrow) What hotel are you staying in?
Me: I'm not staying in a hotel, I'm staying with a friend
Him: OH, can you give me his name
Me: Er, Robert - RMDW
Him: and his family name
Me: Er, actually I don't know his family name, but I do have an e-mail from him here
Him: So how do you know him
Me: Er... from the internet
Him: What, a Bob Dylan website?
Me: From a travel website
Him: so how long are you staying?
Me: In Vancouver or in Canada?
Me: Vancouver 1 night, Canada 2 or three nights
Him: Where else are you going
Me: Kelowna [pretty small and not very well known town inland BC]
Him: (eyebrows raised again) Kelowna? What are you doing there?
Me: Going to see a Bob Dylan show
Me: No, with another friend
Him: (eyebrows shoot off top of head) You have a friend in Kelowna????
Me: No, he's coming from Alberta - His Darbiness
Him: Alberta!!!! [It's a long way away!] Another Bob Dylan fan?
Me: No - er another person I know from the travel website
I was waived through to the sound of much laughter. I wasn't too sure if he was more amused by the 2 Dylan shows or by the fact I was spending this time with 2 men I had clearly never met before but knew "from the internet"
Some 270 km north east of Vancouver, the intrepid driver hits a highly industrialised crossroads that would appear to... more travel advice
From the outside, this was the most "traditional" hotel I used during my whole stay in North America in 2005. With it's... more travel advice
GillianMcLaughlin's Related Pages
Province of British Columbia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OUR TOUR OF BRITISH COLUMBIA BY HIRE CAR"
- "BRITISH COLUMBIA*****WOW"
- "Beautiful British Columbia!"
- "Due West"
- "CANADIAN BEAUTY"
- "British Columbia"
- "B.C.'s Beautiful, eh?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of British Columbia
- Hotels in Province of British Columbia
- Transportation in Province of British Columbia
- Nightlife in Province of British Columbia
- Restaurants in Province of British Columbia
- Shopping in Province of British Columbia
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of British Columbia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Province of British Columbia
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Province of British Columbia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of British Columbia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Friday VT Pub"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Merritt: the Canadian Capital of Country Music"
- Wrote a Review Merritt: the Canadian Capital of Country Music in Province of British Columbia Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Province of British Columbia Travel Page "A flying visit - but one that it etched on my memo"
- Commented on one of GillianMcLaughlin's Province of British Columbia travel pages
Photos in Province of British ColumbiaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szeged Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Bled Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Berlin Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lijiang Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (108)
Top Province of British Columbia hotels
- Vancouver Hotels
- 3950 Reviews - 8219 Photos
- Victoria Hotels
- 1621 Reviews - 3376 Photos
- Kelowna Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 193 Photos
- Penticton Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Kamloops Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Kalamalka Lake Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Whistler Hotels
- 283 Reviews - 636 Photos
- Tofino Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 381 Photos
- Revelstoke Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Vernon Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 2 Photos
- Fairmont Hot Springs Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Squamish Hotels
- 42 Reviews - 102 Photos
- Prince George Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Ucluelet Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Osoyoos Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 64 Photos