"Of Poets, punts and pieces" Cambridge by GillianMcLaughlin
Cambridge Travel Guide: 821 reviews and 1,739 photos
"For Cambridge people never smile...
Being urban, squat and packed with guile"
Thus wrote Rupert Brooke; I tend to disagree.
Welcome to Cambridge, ancient seat of learning, the latter half of Oxbridge, and therefore home, for at least their formative years, of many of the greatest thinkers, writers and scientists.
Cambridge surprises many a visitor with its size... or lack of it. Given its worldwide reputation, the city is of refreshingly modest proportions, its main sights making a fulfilling, but not taxing, weekend's-worth of discovery.
It is a city of churches and colleges, waterways and wonderful architecture. It is also a city of mystery and myth: the haunted bookshop; where we find Nosey Parker fighting for attention against Hobson's choice; where an apple tree revealed the laws of gravity to Sir Isaac Newton and where a serene shop-front carries hintsof its former life as a brothel... what more could you want?
Pros and Cons
- Pros:Compact and bijou
- Cons:Compact and bijou
- In a nutshell:Compact and bijou
1 - 1 of 1
GillianMcLaughlin's Related Pages
Cambridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just a few Bits about Cambridge"
- "City of cycles and Colleges"
- "Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown"
- "My Home Town!"
- "Oxford is a complete arse...."
- "Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England"
- "Cambridge student haven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridge
- Hotels in Cambridge
- Transportation in Cambridge
- Nightlife in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Shopping in Cambridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridge
- 0 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cambridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szeged Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Bled Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Berlin Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lijiang Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos