"The road less travelled" Wingello by GillianMcLaughlin

Wingello Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 47 photos

Into the mystic

When I decided to visit Australia, my aim was to see friends. As it turned out, I managed to meet up with many fewer than I had hoped: partly my disorganisation before leaving home, but mainly certain shifting sands once I began to sort things out.

However one place I really really wanted to see with my own eyes was Wingello: home of one of VTs poets and long-standing VT mate, Craic. Wingello had played its role in many a late night - or should I say all-night - discussions in the forums, and had been recounted to me Berni and Carl Shand as a "must see".

Out of focus

I could have and, arguably, should have taken many photos of Jen's gorgeous house and garden: the ponies, the kukaburras, my first sighting of a real, live, wild wallaby and baby, the dam where the snake comes to swim... but I failed in my mission.

I did however find some eye-catching fairground ponies, resting between engagements.

The place to be

It's difficult to sum up this little outpost: at moments I felt I was in the middle of a culture clash between Ozzie and Scottish soap operas, notably "Sons and Daughters" meets "Take the High Road".

Much fun was had though, as I was utterly gubbed at a game of Ozzie-rules Trivial Pursuit at 2 in the morning. I did however save the day by pointing out that the cat had just tipped a glass of wine into Jen's handbag...

Fasten your seatbelts, you're in for a... well... a ride to the end of the earth.

• Pros:It doesn't get more authentic than this
  • Cons:A bit of a hike if all you really want is to sit on a beach
  • In a nutshell:The myth made real, and all the better for it
  • Last visit to Wingello: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2008

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Is this the same relic that's on Jen's page?

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Nice your saw Wingello..the postmstress said to me "Wingello No one in Wingello" LOL...

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 8:55 AM

I had forgotten the cat tipped the wine into my handbag. What a hoot. And what a waste of wine.

GillianMcLaughlin

“This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway.”

Badges & Stats in Wingello

Have you been to Wingello?

Latest Activity in Wingello