"The road less travelled" Wingello by GillianMcLaughlin
Wingello Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 47 photos
When I decided to visit Australia, my aim was to see friends. As it turned out, I managed to meet up with many fewer than I had hoped: partly my disorganisation before leaving home, but mainly certain shifting sands once I began to sort things out.
However one place I really really wanted to see with my own eyes was Wingello: home of one of VTs poets and long-standing VT mate, Craic. Wingello had played its role in many a late night - or should I say all-night - discussions in the forums, and had been recounted to me Berni and Carl Shand as a "must see".
I could have and, arguably, should have taken many photos of Jen's gorgeous house and garden: the ponies, the kukaburras, my first sighting of a real, live, wild wallaby and baby, the dam where the snake comes to swim... but I failed in my mission.
I did however find some eye-catching fairground ponies, resting between engagements.
It's difficult to sum up this little outpost: at moments I felt I was in the middle of a culture clash between Ozzie and Scottish soap operas, notably "Sons and Daughters" meets "Take the High Road".
Much fun was had though, as I was utterly gubbed at a game of Ozzie-rules Trivial Pursuit at 2 in the morning. I did however save the day by pointing out that the cat had just tipped a glass of wine into Jen's handbag...
Fasten your seatbelts, you're in for a... well... a ride to the end of the earth.
- Pros:It doesn't get more authentic than this
- Cons:A bit of a hike if all you really want is to sit on a beach
- In a nutshell:The myth made real, and all the better for it
Here we have another throwback to rural Scotland - the north at least - the place where cars come to die. But in... more travel advice
Time was short, the weather was pleasant and we decided to explore. The path was one that Jen had followed many times in... more travel advice
GillianMcLaughlin's Related Pages
Wingello Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "REALISING THE DREAM"
- "The road less travelled"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wingello
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Wingello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wingello
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szeged Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Bled Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Berlin Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lijiang Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos