"A peek into a great country" Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa by mvtouring

South Africa Travel Guide: 12,016 reviews and 28,579 photos

Seen through the eyes of an African

This page should be read in conjunction with my pages on the various villages and town in South Africa. This page is dedicated to the geography, culture, cooking etc of my country to give you a better understanding and hopefully to assist you in planning for a better trip when visiting here.

Geography & language

South Africa occupies the southern tip of Africa, its long coastline stretching more than 2 500km from the desert border with Namibia on the Atlantic coast southwards around the tip of Africa and then north to the border with subtropical Mozambique on the Indian Ocean

We are a multi-lingual country. Besides the 11 officially recognised languages, there are scores of others, because South Africa is the crossroads of southern Africa.

South Africa's Constitution recognises and guarantees equal status to 11 official languages to cater for the country's diverse peoples and their cultures - so preserving our much-cherished heterogeneity. The 11 languages are:

Sesotho sa Leboa
English
isiNdebele
isiXhosa
isiZulu
However, most of us speak English, so you'll have little trouble communicating.

Where to find what info

I have used the travel tips areas to put some additional information which I hope will help you

Under Things to do you will find my impressions about the various villages, towns and other places around South Africa

Under Off the Beaten Path you will find some museums info and other activities

Under Local Customs I will be putting some SA recipies and customs

Under Accomodations you will find some budget accommodation that has been tried out by either myself or one of my friends and who have given me their feedback.

Under General you will find some local "slang" which might assist you in understanding us better.

Under Warnings or Dangers I will post some tips on how to behave when you are a tourist in our country.

Transportation, I will try and post as much info as possible for those who do not want to make use of own transport.

Under Shopping Tips I will try and accommodate all of you.

Under Sports Travel there will be some info on all the various sporting facilities etc that we have on offer. Highest bungy jump in the world is only one of them.

• Pros:warm and friendly people, plus the big 7
  • Cons:weather can change without any warning.
  • In a nutshell:Stunning
  • Last visit to South Africa: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2009

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Howzit china ? :)) You have here a beautiful page about your country, and I like a lot all these off beaten track places, Marianna! Whale watching where the oceans meet must be wonderful, and I don’t mind if there is “nothing” in places like Cape Infanta.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Hi Mariana thanks a lot for your useful tips about your country ...I wish you all the best )))

• patagoniapaul's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM

In Hermanus, go walking in Fernkloof - just before the traffic circle in Voölklip, towards the mountain. It is lovely, especially in spring!

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Hi Mariana, Thanks for visiting my Pwllheli page. I love your intro photos on this page - Beautiful! I have real soft spot for SA as I got married there.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I especially like your tips on the small country towns, each one with its own special history and characteristics.

• amgraca's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I've met Penny Rey-Coleen a few years ago in Oporto,Portugal. She is one of those fascinating women which one wonders if she is more beautiful in the inside or in the outside. One of the most incredible people I've ever met.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

What? No recipe for BILTONG.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM

The idea of receipes as local custom tips is great, thanks.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM

WoW! some great sounding recipes I've never seen before. I'm feeling a bit hungry now...

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I really enjoyed your wonderful tour of your lovely country. Lots of wonderful hidden treasures here and thanks for sharing some wonderful information. Have a super weekend!

mvtouring Lives Here!

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in South Africa

• 1,100 Reviews
  • 1,754 Photos

Have you been to South Africa?

Latest Activity in South Africa