"Gouda" Top 5 Page for this destination Gouda by mvtouring
Gouda Travel Guide: 185 reviews and 460 photos
I so much looked forward to visiting Gouda with its traditional cheese market, only to be informed once I got there that I was one week too early! Imagine my dissapointment, however we decided to make the best of our day and enjoyed this little town immensely.
The old market town of Gouda lies in close proximately to Utrecht, Rotterdam and The Hague, at the point where the Gouwe river flows into the Hollandse IJssel. It is a very typical Dutch town with its picturesque canals and many historic buildings in the old part of the town.
After receiving its municipal charter from Count Floris V of Holland in 1272 Gouda rapidly developed into an important trading town. The town was taken in 1572 by the Sea Beggars and thereafter played a prominent part in the States of Holland. In the 17th century, however, it declined. Later, after the traditional cloth-making industry had given place to the manufacture of pipes and the production of cheese, and particularly after the beginnings of industrialization, Gouda again developed into an important economic center.
If you feel like some Greek cousine, then Rhodos restaurant is just the place for you. more travel advice
I was quite amused by this tandem bike for mom & daughter. Suppose little missy want to feel independent. more travel advice
mvtouring's Related Pages
Gouda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gouda - Lovely Dutch city!"
- "A trip to Gouda"
- "Say Cheeeeese"
- "close by for a day out"
- "Gouda: a town full of suprises"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gouda
- Hotels in Gouda
- Transportation in Gouda
- Restaurants in Gouda
- Shopping in Gouda
- Warnings and Dangers in Gouda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gouda
- 24 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Gouda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gouda
Photos in GoudaSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 212 reviews, 356 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 77 reviews, 191 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos
- Budapest Intro, 53 reviews, 82 photos
- London Intro, 52 reviews, 73 photos
- Munich Intro, 36 reviews, 88 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 71 photos