"Korcula" Korcula by mvtouring

Korcula Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 442 photos

Korcula Island

The sixth largest island, it is 20 miles long and rather narrow, between 4 and 5 miles wide on average. This island is known for its dense forest and the ancient Greeks called the island Black Korcula (Kerkyra melaina) for this reason. Local legend says that Prince Antenor of Troy founded the Korcula settlement. Still on the subject of history, it is interesting to mention that Marco Polo, the famous adventurer, was born on Korcula, and his house still there.
The main resorts are Korcula (mainly people call it "Little Dubrovnik" because of its medieval squares, churches, palaces and houses), Vela Luka and Lumbarda.
Unfortunately we missed the Moreschka dancers which one do performances on a Thursday evening

Korcula Town

Korcula Town, a marvel of medieval urban planning which has charmed foreign visitors since the first tourists arrived in the 1920s. During summer, regular performances of the colourful Morescaronka sword dance are staged here

• Pros:Good weather and friendly people
  • Cons:Travel agents are rip-off with day trips to Dubrovnik
  • Last visit to Korcula: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2004

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM

We were in Korcula in May but I have not yet built a page! Soon! Looking at your page reminds me of our visit but we had not the luck to view the Moreska! Very good page!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for the tips on Korkula. We planned to be there in 2009-but now delayed. Instead took the cruise trip to Panama and Costa Rico, and other local ventures.

• May 17, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Great tips, I have started building my pages so please come visit.

• JacobSale's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2007 at 3:18 AM

What kind of restrictions exist for taking pictures in Korcula / Croatia

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 10:55 PM

hey thanks for stopping by and I do not understand your low tip rating, I think you have some very good information here. I loved Vela Luka.

• pabertra's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 10:12 AM

Mariana~~Croatia is number one on my travel wish list and I am planning a trip there for this May. You captured the beauty of Korcula so well on camera! Thanks for sharing!~~Paige

• Prasnjavi's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 12:40 AM

I have visited Korcula. Your info realy helped me. I hope I'll start building my Korcula page soon. Thanks again.

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Korcula

Have you been to Korcula?

Latest Activity in Korcula