"Korcula" Korcula by mvtouring
Korcula Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 442 photos
The sixth largest island, it is 20 miles long and rather narrow, between 4 and 5 miles wide on average. This island is known for its dense forest and the ancient Greeks called the island Black Korcula (Kerkyra melaina) for this reason. Local legend says that Prince Antenor of Troy founded the Korcula settlement. Still on the subject of history, it is interesting to mention that Marco Polo, the famous adventurer, was born on Korcula, and his house still there.
The main resorts are Korcula (mainly people call it "Little Dubrovnik" because of its medieval squares, churches, palaces and houses), Vela Luka and Lumbarda.
Unfortunately we missed the Moreschka dancers which one do performances on a Thursday evening
Korcula Town, a marvel of medieval urban planning which has charmed foreign visitors since the first tourists arrived in the 1920s. During summer, regular performances of the colourful Morescaronka sword dance are staged here
- Pros:Good weather and friendly people
- Cons:Travel agents are rip-off with day trips to Dubrovnik
You will find the cathedral located on the square in the old part of town. It is a Gothic building from the 15th... more travel advice
Inside the town walls, in the old part of the city at the beginning of the 16th century lived 6000 inhabitants. The... more travel advice
mvtouring's Related Pages
Korcula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A living open air museum"
- "Quaint island town on Korcula."
- "SILENT ECHOES OF TURBULENT PAST"
- "7 Days in Korcula"
- "Welcome To Town Korcula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Korcula
- Hotels in Korcula
- Transportation in Korcula
- Nightlife in Korcula
- Restaurants in Korcula
- Shopping in Korcula
- Warnings and Dangers in Korcula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Korcula
- 30 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Korcula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Korcula
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 212 reviews, 356 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 77 reviews, 191 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos
- Budapest Intro, 53 reviews, 82 photos
- London Intro, 52 reviews, 73 photos
- Munich Intro, 36 reviews, 88 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 71 photos