"Zanzibar" Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Town by mvtouring

Zanzibar Town Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 643 photos

Zanzibar - the island

I visited Zanzibar with two couples and had a wonderful time! It is one of those places that you can visit as a single female with no problems, and no one staring at you. The people were great, the seafood fantastic , the curries not so great, but the scenery just out of this world.
We spent three nights in a small resort on the beaches up north the last two nights at the Garden Lodge.
The people on the island is quite poor, with most people living off tourism or fishing. I had been warned about walking by myself in Stone Town with a fancy camera, but as long as you are streetwise like in any big city, you are fine. I never had problems of any sort.
The one thing that did stand out for me is that your room does not get tidied for the duration of your stay. Once you moved in, they only go in again if you need them to fix something or when you depart.

Additional info:-
• Zanzibar Airport departure tax (US$25)
• Visas ($50)

You also need to get yellow fever innoculations.

Kendal Rocks

We stayed here for the first three nights and although we only had cold water, it was really a great place to stay at.

Stone Town

Stone Town was not quite what I expected. It reminded me of Marrakesh in a way, just more African. I found it quite safe to walk around there on my own and discover the little shops. It is also wonderfull to look at all the beautiful doors on the buildings

• Pros:Great snorkling & sea food
  • Last visit to Zanzibar Town: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2005

• dobbelking's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2011 at 3:14 PM

It really looks so idillic. I think that massage on the beach is calling me

• petersnice's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2010 at 11:12 PM

As far as I remember, House of wonders got it's name because it was full of technical marvels at the time of the construction (electric lighting, elevator etc)

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I never got on a Dalla Dalla. They told me they were full or going elsewhere! Love Zanzibar though. All the best!

• a5floor's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Zanzibar brings back good memoreis!! I was there in 1996 and loved it. Too bad my camera got broken. :(

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Oh, Zanzibar... beach massage and spice tour sounds really great and I wouldn't miss the delicious seafood as well :)

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Interesting page about a beautiful place. I'm also surprised about Mercury's house.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 5:59 AM

Great tips!

• morne's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2008 at 3:13 AM

i had a great time, lovely photos

• Sep 7, 2008 at 8:58 AM

I think I should visit Zanzibar, looks like a lovely place

• airasia's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Mariana ! hi ! thanks 4 dropping by. Your experince & pictures are cool too.

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Town

Have you been to Zanzibar Town?

Latest Activity in Zanzibar Town