"Zanzibar" Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Town by mvtouring
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 643 photos
I visited Zanzibar with two couples and had a wonderful time! It is one of those places that you can visit as a single female with no problems, and no one staring at you. The people were great, the seafood fantastic , the curries not so great, but the scenery just out of this world.
We spent three nights in a small resort on the beaches up north the last two nights at the Garden Lodge.
The people on the island is quite poor, with most people living off tourism or fishing. I had been warned about walking by myself in Stone Town with a fancy camera, but as long as you are streetwise like in any big city, you are fine. I never had problems of any sort.
The one thing that did stand out for me is that your room does not get tidied for the duration of your stay. Once you moved in, they only go in again if you need them to fix something or when you depart.
• Zanzibar Airport departure tax (US$25)
• Visas ($50)
You also need to get yellow fever innoculations.
We stayed here for the first three nights and although we only had cold water, it was really a great place to stay at.
Stone Town was not quite what I expected. It reminded me of Marrakesh in a way, just more African. I found it quite safe to walk around there on my own and discover the little shops. It is also wonderfull to look at all the beautiful doors on the buildings
- Pros:Great snorkling & sea food
The cheapest way to get around the island: a Dalla-Dalla. The journey starts as soon as about 20 people squeezed into... more travel advice
This big building, at the right of the House of Wonders, was built in 1780 by the Omanis to protect people from attacks... more travel advice
mvtouring's Related Pages
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STONE TOWN"
- "Zanzibar Town"
- "You have to visit Stone Town"
- "Mji Mkongwe"
- "The Stone Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Town
- Hotels in Zanzibar Town
- Transportation in Zanzibar Town
- Nightlife in Zanzibar Town
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Town
- Shopping in Zanzibar Town
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Town
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Town
- 16 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Zanzibar Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Town
Photos in Zanzibar TownSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 212 reviews, 356 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 77 reviews, 191 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos
- Budapest Intro, 53 reviews, 82 photos
- London Intro, 52 reviews, 73 photos
- Munich Intro, 36 reviews, 88 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 71 photos