"Addo Elephant Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Addo Elephant National Park by mvtouring

Addo Elephant National Park Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 184 photos

Back after 20 years.

I often wonder, why do we not visit places that is right on our doorstep? 20 years ago I used to live in Port Elizabeth, but do you think that I ever visited this lovely park? No, because there is still enough time to do it in. Well when I looked again, I was transferred back to Cape Town and never spent a night in the park, so when I had the opportunity of visiting the Eastern Cape with my friends, I decided that I had to spend at least one night in the park.

About the park

Deep within the shadows of the dense valley bushveld of the Sundays River region of the Eastern Cape lies the Addo Elephant National Park. Here, the evenings are punctuated by the strident howl of the black-backed jackal, and the francolin's call heralds each new dawn. The original Elephant section of the park was proclaimed in 1931, when only eleven elephants remained in the area - today this finely tuned ecosystem is sanctuary to over 450 elephants, Cape buffalo, black rhino, a variety of antelope species, as well as the unique flightless dung beetle, found almost exclusively in Addo. And their Addo has only just begun. with plans to expand the 164 000 ha Addo National Elephant Park into a 360 000 ha mega-park. In addition, plans include the proposed proclamation of a 120 000 ha (296 500 acre) marine reserve that includes islands that are home to the world's largest breeding populations of Cape gannets and second largest breeding population of African penguins.
• The park conserves no less than five of South Africa's seven biomes?
• Is also home to one of the densest African elephant populations on earth?
• It is home to the unique flightless dung beetle?
• Addo incorporates the largest coastal dune field in the southern hemisphere?
• The park boasts the Big Seven, (elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, leopard, southern right whale and great white shark)?
• It also protects the world's largest Cape gannet breeding population on Bird Island?

The popular main rest camp of the park offers a wide variety of accommodation units to suit all tastes and plenty of activities to keep visitors busy. A unique feature is the waterhole lookout point, floodlit at night, within the camp as well as the underground hide, allowing close encounters with wildlife at the waterhole. The evenings punctuated with the calls of lions, spotted hyenas and jackals while francolins and bokmakieries herald each dawn. Accommodation units are situated within easy walking distance of each other and of facilities such as the swimming pool, restaurant and shop. Bookings are made through Central Reservations
5 Things to Seek
1. Elephants
2. Lions
3. Black Rhino
4. Cape buffalo
5. Flightless dung beetle (which has right of way on the roads!)

• Last visit to Addo Elephant National Park: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 4:36 AM

I love elephants, especially the babies! Thank you for sharing :-)

• picek's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Lovely wildlife photos! I wish I could see that by myself and spend a few days there, following their ways and watching them. It's my dream to visit African parks just to admire animals and magnificient landscape.

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Would love to visit here some day.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Love your photo's, and good to find out about some cheaper accommodation.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Very good photos of animals! The kudu is superb! I like the hare too!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Visiting this park would be like a dream come true for me--I love animals and particularly elephants. Your main picture just melts my heart, but all of your pictures are terrific!

• Jun 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I'm a big fan of these national park systems; in my humble opinion, they're a necessity. We don't have anything like this in the states -- at least nothing as awe-inspiring.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Amazing pictures you got at Addo! My favourite is the one with the baby elephant in the middle...and I heard buffalos are the most dangerous...Norman :)

• May 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Aai die olifante is so pragtig en tog so dierbaar

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Good new tips. My brother has a farm in that area. The Addo Park bought some property from him to extend the park. Will come back here when you have your pictures posted.

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Addo Elephant National Park

Have you been to Addo Elephant National Park?

Latest Activity in Addo Elephant National Park