"Augrabies Falls National Park" Augrabies Falls National Park by mvtouring

My first trip in 2010 was to the Northern Cape Region of South Africa. I wanted to visit the mighty Augrabies falls, as the Orange river was in flood in the middle of Feb, so I knew it would be an awesome sight and that the sound would be quite deafening as water thundering down the 56m Augrabies Waterfall . The Khoi people called it ‘Aukoerebis’, or place of Great Noise, as this powerful flow of water is unleashed from rocky surroundings characterized by the 18km abyss of the Orange River Gorge.
Picturesque names such as Moon Rock, Ararat and Echo Corner are descriptive of this rocky region.
The 55 383 hectares on both the northern and southern sides of the Orange River provide sanctuary to a diversity of species, from the
very smallest succulents, birds and reptiles to springbok, gemsbok and giraffe. Unfortunately, due to the floods the roads within the park were damaged and could only be driven by a 4x4 vehicle, which I did not have.

• Last visit to Augrabies Falls National Park: Dec 2009
  • Intro Written Mar 5, 2010

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM

An impressive fall ! Your intro photo is awsome. The kokerboom looks like a spinny Joshua tree and I have checked that it was actually of the same family, hence the look alike !

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Beautiful place. I marked it on my list for the next visit of this country in case I am around this region.

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Great page with pics and tips..must put this on my "must see" when I visit next year..

• floriangn's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Stunning photo's Mariana looks like a great place to visit.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Augrabies Falls sounds and looks like a nice place to go to get away from it all. Your photos of the waterfall in full flow are amazing! Reminded me of standing on the lip of remote Kalambo Falls in Zambia's Northern Province in 1974!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Aukoerebis looks awesome, the sheer power of the falls is beautiful! Augrabies Falls National Park looks like my kind of place. Nice page!

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Thanks for adding this information on this place that you visited in your youth. I imagine SA has changed a lot since then.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2010 at 1:21 AM

That is quite an impressive waterfall !

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Augrabies Falls National Park

Have you been to Augrabies Falls National Park?

Latest Activity in Augrabies Falls National Park