"Clarens" Clarens by mvtouring

Clarens Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 58 photos

I have heard so much about this place, that it was about the only one I had on my itenerary for this past holiday to visit. Currently I am rediscovering my own country and want to share it with the rest of the world. Clarens is situated in the Clarens Valley is in the Eastern Free State Highlands about 20 km's from Golden Gate, 40 km’s from Bethlehem and on the Northernmost point of Lesotho. Clarens is known for its spectacular sandstone mountains and wonderful climate, it is one of the most picturesque spots in South Africa and has recently been acclaimed as having some of the best Trout Fishing waters in South Africa. Clarens is also spectacular horse riding country, a secret that seems to be well kept

You may wonder how the name of “Clarens” came into being: President Paul Kruger spent his last days as a voluntary exile in the attractive village of Clarens in Switzerland and Clarens was thus a very apt name for this mountainous village in the Eastern Free State.

• Last visit to Clarens: Dec 2008
  • Intro Written Aug 24, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

The Basotho village must have been a nice cultural experience. YOu did a nice job of describing this area and its beauty.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 4:22 AM

Baie nice page. Ek moet nog daar uitkom. You write very good and useful tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 9:54 AM

This does look like a very attractive town -- but quite different from the one on Lake Geneva in Switzerland. I don't think I've ever eaten roosterkoek, but when I do I hope they won't heat it up in the microwave and make it rock hard!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I haven't been to South Africa yet, but hopefully one day....

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Clarens

Have you been to Clarens?

Latest Activity in Clarens