"Hermanus and surrounding areas" Top 5 Page for this destination Hermanus by mvtouring
Hermanus Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 135 photos
Hermanus our whale watching mecca is along the East Coast and 120km from Cape Town. It was founded by a teacher and shepard called Hermanus Pieters and the area became known as Hermanus Pietersfontein. In the early 1900 the name was shortened to just Hermanus. This coastal village has a spectacular coast line and is great for Whale watching. The two most important beaches are Grotto and Voelklip. This is a water sport enthusiast’s dream come true. Sporting two large lagoons which can be utilised for sailing, kayaking and motorised water sport. You can also dive here for abalone and crayfish (rock lobster), however a permit is required and check the seasons when you are allowed to do it.
Generally between 8h30 and 17h00 on weekdays and 8h00 and 13h00 on Saturdays. Some stores are also open on a Sunday.
You can expect a mild climate and although winter time could be quite cold, you will find the occasional sunny, hot day. Summer is dry and sunny.
220/230 volts AC
Situated approx 30 minutes drive from Hermanus on the coastal road you will find Bettiesbay with it's penguin colony, botanical garden and lots more on offer. This is a lovely quiet little coastal town where the homes are mostly holiday homes with the odd B&B thrown in for good measure and to assist in accommodation during the whaling season.
- In a nutshell:Whale Watching paradise
In the Harold Porter Garden you will come across this strange plant - fanned Aloe - which I am still trying to discover... more travel advice
I prefer this one to the one at Boulders, not so many people and you get real up close and personal to the penguins.... more travel advice
mvtouring's Related Pages
Hermanus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The most amazing coastal town in the Cape"
- "Hermanus and surrounding areas"
- "Great Place to See Whales"
- "Land Based Whale Watching Paradise."
- "Hermanus Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hermanus
- Hotels in Hermanus
- Restaurants in Hermanus
- Shopping in Hermanus
- Warnings and Dangers in Hermanus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hermanus
- 22 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Hermanus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hermanus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 212 reviews, 356 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 77 reviews, 191 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos
- Budapest Intro, 53 reviews, 82 photos
- London Intro, 52 reviews, 73 photos
- Munich Intro, 36 reviews, 88 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 71 photos