"Margate" Margate by mvtouring
Margate Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 16 photos
It is lovely to be retired, friends invited me to join them for a week in Margate. It is a lovely seaside resort on the East Coast of South Africa. Situated in the south of the KwaZulu-Natal coast, just about 20 kilometres southwest of Port Shepstone. There is a river which flows into the sea at Margate is called "Nkhongweni".
Margate offers attractive beaches for swimming, snorkelling, and surfing. There are many apartment buildings which offer accommodation (quite a few of them are time share through RCI) for residents and visitors. There is a lovely shopping street and lots of restaurants, pubs, and nightclubs,
Margate is busiest during school and public holidays when inland residents travel to the coast.
Margate became famous around the world when it hit the world headlines in 1922 when an enormous, white, furry creature (dubbed "Trunko" due to it having an elephantine trunk) was washed up on the beach. Unfortunately the "Margate monster" was too decomposed to be identified accurately.
Do not miss these little fella's. They are not my favorite animal/reptile,but they have fantastic coloring. Also you... more travel advice
You are in sugarcane world here. So everywhere you will see either the banana plantations or the sugar plantations. more travel advice
mvtouring's Related Pages
Margate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Margate is happening!"
- "Summer holiday in Margate, KZN, South Africa"
- "Marget - Hot days and cool waves!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Margate
- Hotels in Margate
- Nightlife in Margate
- Restaurants in Margate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Margate
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Margate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Margate
Photos in MargateSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 212 reviews, 356 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 77 reviews, 191 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos
- Budapest Intro, 53 reviews, 82 photos
- London Intro, 52 reviews, 73 photos
- Munich Intro, 36 reviews, 88 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 71 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Margate hotel reviews
- La Cote D' Azur
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 21, 2012