"Port Elizabeth" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Elizabeth by mvtouring

Port Elizabeth Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 170 photos

The windy city

Port Elizabeth is one of those places that you either love or hate. Known as the friendly city, and the windy city, I found that the latter is the only true name for it. I lived here for 5 years and hated the first 3 years. Then I decided that if I did not pull myself together, I would be miserable for a long, long time. It is a nice city to go for vacation with lots to offer the traveler.

PE is one of South Africa's best beach holiday destinations, with 40km of unspoiled coastline — mostly golden sandy beaches renowned across the world. Summer stretches from October to April, with an average temperature maximum of 25°C throughout January to March.

Algoa Bay is Africa’s water sport capital. There’s yachting and boat cruises, windsurfing, jet skiing and diving. The Bay is one of the best sailing waters in the world. Scuba diving is of world-class quality with great reefs, plenty of shipwrecks, fish and colorful coral.

You mustn’t miss the magnificent wild game viewing in malaria-free game reserves. Within less than an hour’s drive of Port Elizabeth you can see the Big Five (elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion and leopard) and many other species.

• Pros:Lovely beaches
  • Cons:very windy
  • Last visit to Port Elizabeth: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2008

• Jan 31, 2010 at 4:57 PM

SA is on my wishlist. PE will be a stopover on my way to King William's Town and Biko's grave. Thanks for visiting my Reykjavik page! Paul

• risse73's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Enjoyed the tips on your PE page! It seems windy year-round, but looks like a beautiful place to visit. Lady Donkin's pyramid is a true testament of her husband's love. Thanks for visiting my Lima page. -Marissa-

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Nice pages on PE. My friend's home is right next door from the art museum you mention. A nice area. The beaches are great now if they could just control that wind!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2009 at 2:24 AM

I lived in PE for 18 years. Very slow living...wooooshhhh...windy!!!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 3:34 PM

A well done page and nice introduction to Port Elizabeth.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM

a lovely light house, mariana. enjoy the virtual walk through your port elizabeth page :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 3:49 AM

I would love to explore along this part of South Africa's coastline and PE looks like it would be worth a stop! The historic walking tour sounds like a good idea.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2008 at 4:36 AM

I hope you propose to add more to this interesting glimpse of Port Elizabeth, Mariana. I've never been anywhere near there, but so many of your photos gave me feelings of familiarity - I guess similarity to places in Australia!

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Port Elizabeth

Have you been to Port Elizabeth?

Latest Activity in Port Elizabeth