"walvisbaai" Top 5 Page for this destination Walvisbaai by mvtouring
Walvisbaai Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 249 photos
It was with great anticipation that our plane landed in the Namib desert at the Walvisbaai airport. I was a bit worried thinking that we had landed in the desert, when my sister assured me that the airport was actually in the dessert. I was amazed to see the rare beauty and windswept dunes, stark landscapes and jagged coastlines from the plane.
Walvis Bay is situated on the south west coast of Africa at the edge of the Namib desert and is Namibia's principal port and growth centre. It is rich in natural resources and its strategic location provide the basis for tourism and industrial development.
The municipal area covers 1124 km square and boasts 60 km of Atlantic coastline. On the landward side, Walvis Bay is enclosed by 23 000 square km of conservation area that includes high dunes, wetlands and the Kuiseb River delta.
Walvis Bay's population of 55 000 people composed of a variety of ethnic groups of different religious and cultural backgrounds, and together they lend Walvis Bay a cosmopolitan appeal. There is no feeling of being a tourist in Walvis Bay, owing to the distinct blend of different cultures.
Walvis Bay, (pronounced Walfish Bay) meaning "Whale Bay" in Afrikaans, has had a chequered history. The bay has been a haven for sea vessels because of its natural deep water harbour. Being also rich in plankton and marine life, it drew large number of whales. This attracted whalers and fishing vessels. A succession of colonists have exploited the location and resources of this strategic harbour settlement. The harbour has caught the attention of world powers since it was discovered.
- Pros:wonderfull place to get in touch with the inner self
- Cons:did not come across any
You can catch direct flights from CT to Walvisbay on a daily basis. Flights are rather steep, but it is worth it. more travel advice
The Oyster farm sits all over the harbour area and in the sea, but the factory is in the main harbour. These oysters are... more travel advice
mvtouring's Related Pages
Walvisbaai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "To Walvisbay on a cruise"
- "Walvis Bay - Where desert meets coast ..."
- "Surrounded by the Namib Desert"
- "A fisherman’s place by the Atlantic Ocean."
- "The unexpected wonderful wildlife of Walvis Bay"
- "Back after 25 years"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Walvisbaai
- Hotels in Walvisbaai
- Transportation in Walvisbaai
- Restaurants in Walvisbaai
- Shopping in Walvisbaai
- Warnings and Dangers in Walvisbaai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Walvisbaai
- 21 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Walvisbaai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Walvisbaai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 212 reviews, 356 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 77 reviews, 191 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos
- Budapest Intro, 53 reviews, 82 photos
- London Intro, 52 reviews, 73 photos
- Munich Intro, 36 reviews, 88 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 71 photos