"Windhoek" Top 5 Page for this destination Windhoek by mvtouring

Windhoek Travel Guide: 232 reviews and 829 photos

I was very lucky, my friend flew me to Windhoek in his private plane to show me around and have lunch there. I was so excited as it was my first time in a small aircraft. I could not believe how green it was as we flew over Windhoek. We drove around Windhoek and I was shown all the landmarks and then we went to one of the shopping centres for a great lunch.

Namibia's capital spreads out in a wide valley between bush-covered hills and appears, at first sight, to be quite small. Driving from the international airport, you pass quickly through the suburbs and, reaching the crest of a hill, find yourself suddenly descending into the city centre.

As you stroll through this centre, the pavement cafés and picturesque old German architecture conspire to give an airy, European feel, whilst street-vendors remind you that this is Africa. Look upwards! The office blocks are tall, but not sky scraping. Around you the pace is busy, but seldom as frantic as Western capitals seem to be.

Leading off Independence Avenue, the city's main street, is the open-air Post Street Mall, centre of a modern shopping complex. Wandering down it, between its bright, pastel-coloured roofs, you'll find shops selling everything from fast food to fashion. In front of these, street-vendors crouch beside blankets spread with jewellery, crafts and curios for sale. Nearby, the city's more affluent residents step from their cars in shaded parking bays to shop in air-conditioned department stores.

Like many capitals, Windhoek is full of contrasts, especially between the richer and poorer areas, but it lacks any major attractions. For casual visitors the city is pleasant; many stop for a day or two, as they arrive or leave, though few stay much longer. It is worth noting that the city all but closes down on Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday, so be aware of this if you plan to be in town over a weekend. Note, too, that during the holiday season from Christmas to around January 10, large numbers of locals leave for the coast, leaving many shops, restaurants and tourist attractions closed. That said, this is the centre of Namibia's administration, and the hub of the country's roads, railways and communications. If you need an embassy, good communications, or an efficient bank, then Windhoek is the right place for you. And to prepare for a trip into the bush, Windhoek is by far the best place in Namibia to get organised and buy supplies.

• Last visit to Windhoek: Dec 2006
  • Intro Written May 8, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 9:15 AM

The pictures you took compliment the comments for this city. It looks to be a nice place to visit one day if I get down that way. Great work

• Nov 24, 2008 at 6:19 AM

het jare gelede in Windhoek gebly. Jy was voorwaar bevoorreg dat jou vriend jou soontoe gevlieg het vir die dag.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I'm thinking of going to Namibia so it's most likely that I'll visit Windhoek, as well. Thanks for this virtual tour.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2008 at 2:30 AM

I enjoyed reading your page about Windhoek, such an interesting place. My daughter worked in an orphange there for some weeks.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 8:31 AM

We only spent a few hours in Windhoek so it's interesting to find out more on your page. I wish I'd known to look for the meteorites!

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2007 at 4:43 AM

Ek beplan my eerste trip na Windhoek middel vlogende jaar, I hope you have a great 2008! Pierre

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 2:20 AM

Interesting page you have here = liked the mixed architecture here

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Nice page on Windhoek. Interesting architecture and sculpture.

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Interesting places you have been to, Mariana.

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Windhoek

Have you been to Windhoek?

Latest Activity in Windhoek