"Marakesh - Jewel of the south" Marrakesh by mvtouring
Marrakesh Travel Guide: 2,236 reviews and 6,131 photos
We checked in for our flight at Cape Town International Airport and flew
to Marrakesh, with a schedulated stop at Casablanca. Casablanca Airport is very impressive, and provided a good start to our trip to Morocco. I had the pleasure of spending a full week in this lovely, intriguing city.
Pearl of the South, Jewel of the South, The Rose City -- just a few of the nicknames Marrakesh has acquired over the years. The pearl and the jewel symbolize its importance as the center of Morocco ever since it was a trading and resting place on the crossroads of ancient caravan routes from Timbuktu. The rose attests to a city still painted entirely in salmon pink, in keeping with the red-clay earth below. Once called Morocco City by foreign travelers, Marrakesh eventually lent its name to the country itself. Part Berber, part Arab, part African, Marrakesh is the heartbeat of Morocco, where palaces and monuments of unrivaled refinement sit calmly alongside the snake charmers and Gnaouan drums pulsing constantly from Djemýa el Fna Square -- the most exuberant marketplace in the world.
Virtually unchanged since the Middle Ages, Marrakesh's solid ramparts encircle and protect its mysterious labyrinthine medina, which hides sultans' palaces, the ornate mansions of rich merchants, and some of the most colorful bazaars in the Arab world. Late in the afternoon, Moroccans as well as foreigners crowd the Djemýa el Fna to hear storytellers and musicians perform, be wooed by herbalists and acrobats, and watch smoke rise from the outdoor food stalls as vendors whip up a wild array of fried fish, meats, salads, and such Moroccan delicacies as lamb or beef stewed in an earthenware pot and left in hot ashes all day.
This intoxicating city is for the eyes -- a place where even the refined elements have a roughness to them, yet what is rough has its own refinement. Apart from the many things to see and do, one of the most refreshing things about Marrakesh is that time slows down here. The helter-skelter of mopeds, Mercedes, donkey carts, and pedestrians in the streets is really just a mirage; beneath it all, you can feel a languor in the way people walk, the way they take time to stop and talk to each other, conducting their daily affairs much as their ancestors did. With its dramatic beauty and unhurried rhythm, the Jewel of the South can beckon even the most seasoned traveler to stop moving and stay forever.
When you leave Marrakesh, everything is not just red dust delux, you do find nice green areas, like this village we... more travel advice
You really get the feeling of being part of a camal caravan when you enter this place more travel advice
mvtouring's Related Pages
Marrakesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winter and Summer in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakech"
- "Marrakech - Incredible but exhausting!"
- "Red City of Marrakech"
- "A “break” in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakesh"
- "Marrakech - the Pink City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marrakesh
- Hotels in Marrakesh
- Transportation in Marrakesh
- Nightlife in Marrakesh
- Restaurants in Marrakesh
- Shopping in Marrakesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Marrakesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marrakesh
- 28 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Marrakesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marrakesh
- Posted in Travel Cape Town Forum "Re: cape town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Air travel"
- updated a Marrakesh Travel Page "Marakesh - Jewel of the south"
- Commented on one of suvanki's Marrakesh travel pages
- Wrote a Review Everything is not dusty about Landscape Around Marrakesh in Marrakesh Off The Beaten Path
Photos in MarrakeshSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Town Intro, 212 reviews, 356 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 77 reviews, 191 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht Intro, 57 reviews, 80 photos
- Budapest Intro, 53 reviews, 82 photos
- London Intro, 52 reviews, 73 photos
- Munich Intro, 36 reviews, 88 photos
- Berlin Intro, 49 reviews, 71 photos