"My one day in hell" Tangier by mvtouring

Tangier Travel Guide: 484 reviews and 1,173 photos

Tangier

It was with great excitement that we boarded the ferry for our one day visit to Tangier, but upon arrival that changed to depression and a word of thanks that I came from the south of Africa. Tangier was my first introduction to Morocco and truth be told it was not my favourite city in in the world and I thought I would never return to this county. It was too dirty, too strange, too unpleasant even dangerous, I hated the people that kept on touching you and the fact that I was told to stay with the tour leader at all times.

I am sure that there are folks out there that has fallen in love with Tangier, but for me it is not easy. Having been there twice, I am sure the second time would have changed my made. The tourist police in Morocco does a lot against unpleasant guiding, hustling, street begging etc. it seems nothing has changed in Tangier.

Shopping, I mean local handicrafts seem to be much more expensive than elsewhere in Morocco. The town beach was polluted and not cleaned at least when I was there. Kids beg for money on every corner.

• Last visit to Tangier: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2008

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM

What a neat place....

• floriangn's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Seems like people either love or hate this place.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Hi true that Tangier can be a let down but the answer is really preparation to understand the place - I find I have to be aggressive there to those that need it..but otherwise I like the place.As for snakes..they stitch their mouths so they cant bite :(

• Mar 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM

does not seem to be a place to visit as female on your own

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Those cobras are scary - I'll probably jump away, hehehe....

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 1:21 AM

What a pity that you did not enjoy your visits to Tangier. It does have such a colourful & interesting history. We also enjoyed camel-ride ( Jaisalmer) and had much fun.

• dobbelking's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Fortunately we only took the ferry from Tangier back to Spain

• mecute's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 9:31 PM

He he fery funny

• maztek's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2007 at 1:06 PM

thanx for visiting myHP

• Doctor38's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2007 at 6:15 AM

I traveled to many places in Morocco but never to Tangier. I would like to visit it some day. thanks for sharing

mvtouring

“Treasure every moment, it could be your last.”

Badges & Stats in Tangier

Have you been to Tangier?

Latest Activity in Tangier