"Another one of the places I really want to visit" Nuuk by gordonilla

Nuuk Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 123 photos

Nuuk; capital of Greenland

I have finally made it to Nuuk, it is another one of those out of the way places that I have always wanted to visit. It seems that 2010 was the year to travel this far north and west.

Although connected to Denmark, it is most certainly in the Americas - and it seems that I am nearer to my Canadian relations in London (Ontario) than I am to London (UK).

The capital of Greenland is fairly quiet and interesting - and I have to say that it is not what I expected, although I am unsure what I actually expected. So it was a very pleasant and enjoyable short visit to the west coast of Greenland.

Looking for the best viewing point over the city

The photograph was taken from the top of a rocky outcrop, which is the home of the Hans Egede statue. It does give an excellent view of the city - old and new.

It was quite invigorating being so high above everything and being able to enjoy the views and the sea air.

The view of the city from a helicopter

As I note in one of my tips; I took a helicopter trip when visiting Nuuk. It was enjoyable and was facilitated by the Tourist Information office. They also arrange boat tours, however when I was in town the boat was being repaired.

The helicopter trip was excellent, and the photograph was taken on the return journey. The city of Nuuk is fairly small and this shows how compact it really is; and that there is nothing immediately next to it.

• Last visit to Nuuk: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2010

• jorgec25's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2010 at 3:59 AM

Finally got the time to look at this pages attentively. Great photos and I also liked the travel diary too. Good work. Carlos

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM

nice photos you put up gordon. hope you had a great trip to greenland.

gordonilla

“Travel is a passion, exploring a pleasure!”

Badges & Stats in Nuuk