"The hamlet of Elk, not Waco" Elk by gordonilla
Elk Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Elk was the scene of a major incident in Texas some years ago. There was a standoff and shoot out between the Federal Government and members of the Branch Davidian sect.
It was a beautiful morning for a visit and even by 10.30 it was very hot. We had stopped off here on route to Dallas.
I enjoyed the scenery, was told that the Government still monitors the area, and I was not under any circumstances to tell my friends friends (Republicans and Air Force Reserve Colonel) we had visited.
The visitor centre was shut.
Just to prove that I was there - here is a picture of me at the site of the Mount Carmel complex.
It was very quiet and hot - there was some activity at the 7th day Adventist church now built on the site of the original buildings. The white building is the church.
The trees were planted in memory of the Branch davidian members by the Texarkan Militia. The memorial to the federal government personnel killed is also near the church - but is a simple, small and discrete marble stone.
gordonilla's Related Pages
Elk Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Elk
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Elk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elk
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 152 reviews, 584 photos, 7 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 182 reviews, 457 photos, 10 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 50 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 47 reviews, 163 photos, 5 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña Intro, 53 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 43 reviews, 124 photos
- Munich Intro, 33 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues