"Visiting Ingolstadt" Top 5 Page for this destination Ingolstadt by gordonilla

Ingolstadt Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 452 photos

My relationship with Ingolstadt

I have been visiting this Bavarian City since 1982, and it never disappoints me. It is the home of Audi and I have been fortunate enough to have been shown round the plant three times. It is amazing seeing how Audis are created. Over the years this has become much more professional and now the Audi Forum is a well visited location in the tourist plans for Ingolstadt.

The links I have with Ingolstadt originate with the friendships I established when I was party of an exchange group from my College in Kirkcaldy, Fife. During the visits, we attended events and made tours of many businesses and venues. One of the most memorable was the Herrn Brau Brewery. The make and sell excellent wiezen mit hefe.

The city is old and historic and in former times, when the State was in fact a Kingdom, the city became the stronghold of the Kingdom during times of war and threat.

It would not be Virtual Tourist without an interesting personal anecdote:

During one visit to Ingolstadt, I was in the company of work colleagues. It was all going well until I dislocated and fractured my humerus - it was very painful and I was in a very uncomfortable position for about 8 weeks. I would like to thank the staff at Das Klinikum and Der Klinik Dr Maul - I was treated well and with respect in a friendly and sympathetic manner.

I have the utmost respect for the Bavarian, if not German Health Service......remember to carry your insurance documents. I still have my xrays from the visit.

The city is an excellent place to visit - it is close enough to travel to Munich easily, but far enough to be cheaper and affordable at certain times in the year.

750th Anniversary

This was something I came across when I visited the city in 2000.

The city is vibrant, yet at the same time some what relaxed. There is much to do and see - so everyone can enjoy their visit.

The city council has done much self promotion and sought to expand it's business and cultural impact on the world. My recollection is that a former Oberburgermeister (or Lord Mayor) Peter Schnell did much work over a considerable number of years to make Ingolstadt a place to be! There are festivals and events - and of course like most cities they hold an annual marathon event - well three half marathons as it goes. Children, Teenagers and others, then the half marathon itself - I was very impressed with what can be said was the committment of all those participating.

Museum of Concrete Art

The museum is an interesting place, and you should not be confused by it's name. Concrete is a School and not a material or medium to work with. I was disappointed by this fact, I am a Concrete Technologist after all!

To qualify what Concrete Art is - it is abstract art which should be totally anonymous and highlights no figurative references or symbolic associations.

The name came from Theo van Doesburg who issued a manifesto entitled "Art Concret" whilst in Paris during 1930.

The art is generally severely geometrical, however there are some exponents of the genre who often use graceful spiral or helix shapes. On a recent visit to the museum, there was an exhibition of the photographic work of Heinrich Heidersberger. It was entitled "Aesthetik der Moderne Photographien von Heinrich Heidersberger" - it was different but very enjoyable.

• Last visit to Ingolstadt: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2009

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Another gem in Bavaria. Such a wealth of nice cities and towns to visit in this part of the world. Thanks for the tips.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for the views of this wonderful town. I am planning a trip to Munich and area, and this is one that needs to be seen. Great job.

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I have 2 Ingolstadters staying with me at the moment; here on an exchange; have been invited to visit them....

• travellingdan's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 1:46 AM

Everybody who promotes my hometown is my friend! And especially if there are such great tipps (look at the restaurant page)! Thanx man!

• rickyvilla81's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 3:40 PM

Nice pics. Going there in May. Concrete art with no concrete? Gotta see that!

gordonilla

“Travel is a passion, exploring a pleasure!”

Badges & Stats in Ingolstadt

Have you been to Ingolstadt?

Latest Activity in Ingolstadt