"At last, I have managed to get to the Færoes" Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn by gordonilla
Tórshavn Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 339 photos
For some years, I have thought about travelling to the Færoes, and finally decided to take the trip. It was in deed something enjoyable and not quite what I had expected. I should say that it was unexpected in the most positive of ways.
I am sure I should start off with some of the geo-political aspects that relate to the Færoes. They are made up from 18 islands, of which 17 are inhabited (although I have also read that another of them is only inhabited in the summer months - but this may have changed) and they have a total area of 1,399 sq km with a total coastline of some 1,100 km. The islands have an average height above sea level of 300m.
The total population is around the 50,000 level - the capital is Tórshavn and the population around the capital is circa 19,000 - this includes a number of settlements that were historicaly outside the capital but have now become part of the area controled by the city council.
They have status of being a self governing region within the Kingdom of Denmark; however they have their own language, flag, money, stamps, Parliament and their own Prime Minister.
I made my trip in March, and it may seem like a strange time to visit such a northerly located country (62 degrees north). However I enjoy the colder and cooler weather - apart from my day of arrival when it was slightly wet, the rest of the trip was wonderful with weather which was fresh and invigorating.
There is much to see in Tórshavn - from the harbour and seaside up to the hills and into the town itself. It in an easy walk to all points of the city - but not for the faint hearted.
I suppose I should note for the record that Tórshavn means Thor's Harbour - named after the Norse God Thor who was a fairly innocuous God unlike Odin. I understand that the location was not the best location for a harbour, however the city started to develop and the Althing was organised from the 9th century. Follwoing political changes the Althing was dissolved in 1035 - then refromed as the Løgting in 1380 when Norway was absorbed into the Kingdom of Denmark. It has operated since that time.
The modern city has a wonderful atmosphere, and has now got a reputation for hosting international conferences - in 2007 Bill Clinton attended such an event. Many international events continue to be planned for 2008 and beyond.
This is the office of the Prime Minister, and you can call in and visit; although he is unlikely to be at home during your visit. Since 1948, Føroya has been a self governing region of Denmark. In accordance with this status, the islands have their own Parliament and flag. In addition they have their own language, their own money and stamps.
They have chosen not to be part of the European Union, and as such all trade is governed by special treaties.
The home of the national government is shown here on Tinganes peninsula. It was established in the terms outlined in the Home Rule Constitution which was adopted in 1948
Perhaps not the movies - the Atlantic Airways web site has a list of active webcams across the islands. They have one... more travel advice
The international airport is located on another island, Vagar, and one of the most convenient ways to travel to and from... more travel advice
gordonilla's Related Pages
Tórshavn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Little Capital City That Could"
- "Tórshavn - Europes Forgotten Capital"
- "Torshavn - Capital of the Faroe Islands"
- "At last, I have managed to get to the Færoes"
- "A lovely place, with very unpredicable weather."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tórshavn
- Hotels in Tórshavn
- Transportation in Tórshavn
- Restaurants in Tórshavn
- Shopping in Tórshavn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tórshavn
- 43 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Tórshavn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tórshavn
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Help me plan our itinerary..."
- Commented on one of JessieLang's Tórshavn travel pages
- Wrote a Review Get into the movies! in Tórshavn Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Get into the movies!"
- updated a Tórshavn Travel Page "At last, I have managed to get to the Færoes"
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 155 reviews, 596 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsinki Intro, 190 reviews, 506 photos, 10 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 50 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 47 reviews, 163 photos, 5 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña Intro, 53 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 39 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 35 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues