"Business Trip to Riga" Riga by gordonilla
Riga Travel Guide: 1,860 reviews and 5,353 photos
This was to be my first trip to Latvia, and I chose to fly with Air Baltic - this was the only direct flight airline. All the other flights were indirect via other parts of the European mainland.
What can I tell you? Well I traveled from Uxbridge to Gatwick airport and started the check-in process. Where i discovered that i needed to pay for my luggage to be put into the hold. This was a surprise and quite costly, especially if you also wish to use a credit card where there is a £5.00 surcharge.
The flight to Riga was comfortable, but they offered nothing complimentary during the flight - passengers had to buy everything. Luckily they have yet to charge for the use of the toilets!
Arriving at Riga Airport, we only had a short wait for our luggage and I in fact had a longer wait for my driver to arrive to collect me. It was another 20-30 minute journey from airport to city centre and the hotel.
The hotel was a Radisson Blu hotel - Elisabete Hotel located on Elisabete Iela (Street), which is close to a park and the old city. I was well received by a trainee receptionist, Emils, and was quickly in my room freshening up.
I was edue to meet a colleague by she had family matters to deal with and I found my self alone for the evening and dinner.
It seems that the city is clean and a good mix of modern and old buildings. The street cleaners are obvious and they seem to work morning and evening to keep the streets clean and fresh.
The one thing that is clear is that graffiti is everywhere. Mostly, not very good graffiti at that! there are a few examples of good graffiti but sadly by and large, the work is poor and can only really be described as vandalism, nothing more than that!
Luckily, my hotel was in the city centre and ensured that a short walk away was the more tourist aspects of the city.
The old city and of course the Orthodox Cathedral and a number of good, modern and enjoyable restaurants.
I am used to visiting the Stockmann store in Helsinki, and this was an unexpected find. It was nice to see that they... more travel advice
The shop is within a building from the 17th century; it was a priest's house and part of the St Jacob's cathedral... more travel advice
gordonilla's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Turbulent Past Left Behind?"
- "A liveable city"
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Latvia"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 15 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 242 reviews, 987 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsinki Intro, 212 reviews, 654 photos, 12 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 71 reviews, 304 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 51 reviews, 203 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña Intro, 59 reviews, 188 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 50 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 35 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 36 reviews, 158 photos