"Sarajevo - a surprising and enjoyable experience" Sarajevo by gordonilla
Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,177 reviews and 2,978 photos
With a little notice, a colleague and I visited our company offices in Sarajevo. this was a new destination for me, although over the last 5 or 6 weeks the destinations have been a first for me!
I have to say that I arrived with no expectations or views - although I was aware of the importance of this city and of course Bosnia - Herzogovina; the actions of the Black Hand and Gavrilo Princip specifically which led to the start of the Great War (1914-1918); and then Marshal Tito. (My colleagues in Sarajevo were surprised that as a teenager, in Scotland, had watched Marshal Tito's funeral on the BBC.)
I found the short time I spent in the city pleasant, relaxing and safe. It was a surprise to see so many buildings still showing the evidence of war. However things are changing for the better I suspect.
The city has a wealth of culture - and is internationally know for both it's Film and Jazz festivals. (The Jazz Festival was taking place during our visit in early November.)
There are museums and galleries - and the architecture speaks its own cultural language.
In addition, there was much graffiti to be seen around the city - it was apparent and some of it very good compared to some other European capitals. I like this kind of art - skilled, and passionate with a personal agenda rather than fitting into a genre.
The people appeared happy, they were well dressed and walking along the river bank shown - there were many young couples sitting, hugging, kissing and holding hands.
The city has much to offer, and I will truly return for a personal visit both in winter and the summer.
Located in the city centre and across from the government offices - this is a wonderful place to shop and even just stop... more travel advice
The Museum if split into three seperate buildings plus the central botanical gardens: Archaeology Natural... more travel advice
gordonilla's Related Pages
Sarajevo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- "Something special ...."
- "SARAJEVO MY LOVE"
- "dreams submerged. the capital."
- "Beautiful and Scarred"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarajevo
- Hotels in Sarajevo
- Transportation in Sarajevo
- Nightlife in Sarajevo
- Restaurants in Sarajevo
- Shopping in Sarajevo
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarajevo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sarajevo
- 16 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Sarajevo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarajevo
- Posted in Travel Rovaniemi Forum "Re: planning christmas vacation"
- updated a Sarajevo Travel Page "Sarajevo - a surprising and enjoyable experience"
- Commented on one of gordonilla's Sarajevo tips
- Wrote a Review Retail Therapy in Sarajevo Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Retail Therapy"
- Uploaded a Video to Sarajevo
Videos in SarajevoSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 242 reviews, 987 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsinki Intro, 212 reviews, 654 photos, 12 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 71 reviews, 304 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 51 reviews, 203 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña Intro, 59 reviews, 188 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 50 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 35 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 36 reviews, 158 photos