VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Sarajevo - a surprising and enjoyable experience" Sarajevo by gordonilla

Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,177 reviews and 2,978 photos

Sarajevo, a work visit!

With a little notice, a colleague and I visited our company offices in Sarajevo. this was a new destination for me, although over the last 5 or 6 weeks the destinations have been a first for me!

I have to say that I arrived with no expectations or views - although I was aware of the importance of this city and of course Bosnia - Herzogovina; the actions of the Black Hand and Gavrilo Princip specifically which led to the start of the Great War (1914-1918); and then Marshal Tito. (My colleagues in Sarajevo were surprised that as a teenager, in Scotland, had watched Marshal Tito's funeral on the BBC.)

I found the short time I spent in the city pleasant, relaxing and safe. It was a surprise to see so many buildings still showing the evidence of war. However things are changing for the better I suspect.

A city of culture and history

The city has a wealth of culture - and is internationally know for both it's Film and Jazz festivals. (The Jazz Festival was taking place during our visit in early November.)

There are museums and galleries - and the architecture speaks its own cultural language.

In addition, there was much graffiti to be seen around the city - it was apparent and some of it very good compared to some other European capitals. I like this kind of art - skilled, and passionate with a personal agenda rather than fitting into a genre.

What can be said about Sarajevo?

The people appeared happy, they were well dressed and walking along the river bank shown - there were many young couples sitting, hugging, kissing and holding hands.

The city has much to offer, and I will truly return for a personal visit both in winter and the summer.

• Last visit to Sarajevo: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Another gorgeous page of yours. Sarajevo is one of the cities which impressed me the most on my trips to the Balkans.

gordonilla

“Travel is a passion, exploring a pleasure!”

Badges & Stats in Sarajevo

Have you been to Sarajevo?

Latest Activity in Sarajevo