"Portugal is more than Ronaldo and the Algarve" Lisbon by gordonilla
Lisbon Travel Guide: 5,277 reviews and 13,027 photos
I have started to create this from the hotel lobby - and I do have to say that after having no sleep, and then spending the day walking around Lisbon city centre I am a little tired. (Probably a bit of an understatement!)
It has been a pleasant and warm day - sadly circumstances meant that I was unable to meet a fellow VTer. However, I am meeting other VTers for dinner, Glória and Carlos. We had dinner at Bufalo Grill, Oriente.
I had spent some days in Lisbon with a delegation of colleagues from EuroFM - we had been the guests of APFM and the IST.
On the Saturday morning we held our normal meetings and instead of staying around for brunch/lunch I left with Glória and Carlos to meet Antonio. We had lunch at Adega de Carnide, which offered some good traditional food and service.
I suspect that I should have started off with this section - however I think sharing some information on Lisbon at any point is very good indeed.
What can I say about Lisbon? It is the capital of Portugal, it has a population of around 1 million people which makes it the largest city in the country and it is the country's chief port. Lisbon is one of the world's longest founded cities, with a history that dates back some 300,000 years.
From legend, the city was founded and named by Ulysses as Ulissipo or Olissoppo - this seems to have it's origins from Phoenician words meaning "enchanted port".
Under the Phoenicians the city prospered for more than 600 years, when it was occupied by the Greeks and the Carthaginians; they were followed by the Romans in 205BC, then the Barbarians in the 5th century AD and then the Moors in 715 AD until 1147. The city was captured in 1147AD by D. Afonso Henriques during the 1147 crusades, and was named the capital city of Portugal in 1252.
In 1755, an earthquake destroyed the entire city, it was rebuilt and many features remain visible today. In modern times the city was the European City of Culture in 1994, the city hosted Expo 1998 whose theme was the ocean due to Lisbon's involvement with discovery and sea voyages.
The city is one of contrasts, it has much to offer and discover - combining the early history of the city with more modern attractions. Culture of all kinds is plain to see and experience.
After we had been walking round the central area, we went for coffee and ice cream. This seems to be a very popular... more travel advice
It was our first cultural stop of the day and we went to see the exhibition of Art Deco art from Portugal between 1912... more travel advice
gordonilla's Related Pages
Lisbon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Lisbon"
- "My home town"
- "Lisbon, Portugal"
- "Ahh, LISBON....Esta tao bonita como sempre."
- "saudades de Lisboa"
- "Lisboa, probably the most beautiful city there is"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lisbon
- Hotels in Lisbon
- Transportation in Lisbon
- Nightlife in Lisbon
- Restaurants in Lisbon
- Shopping in Lisbon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lisbon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lisbon
- 23 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Lisbon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisbon
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: 5 days package to edinburgh,..."
- updated a Lisbon Travel Page "Portugal is more than Ronaldo and the Algarve"
- Uploaded a Video to Lisbon
- Wrote a Review An ice cream and coffee about Santini Chiado in Lisbon Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jardim Botânico da Universidade de Lisboa"
Videos in LisbonSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 228 reviews, 920 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsinki Intro, 212 reviews, 654 photos, 12 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 67 reviews, 286 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 51 reviews, 203 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña Intro, 56 reviews, 179 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 50 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 35 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 36 reviews, 158 photos