"Portugal is more than Ronaldo and the Algarve" Lisbon by gordonilla

Lisbon Travel Guide: 5,259 reviews and 13,057 photos

My first visit to Lisbon (VT meeting 1)

I have started to create this from the hotel lobby - and I do have to say that after having no sleep, and then spending the day walking around Lisbon city centre I am a little tired. (Probably a bit of an understatement!)

It has been a pleasant and warm day - sadly circumstances meant that I was unable to meet a fellow VTer. However, I am meeting other VTers for dinner, Glória and Carlos. We had dinner at Bufalo Grill, Oriente.

My second visit to Lisbon (VT meeting 2)

I had spent some days in Lisbon with a delegation of colleagues from EuroFM - we had been the guests of APFM and the IST.

On the Saturday morning we held our normal meetings and instead of staying around for brunch/lunch I left with Glória and Carlos to meet Antonio. We had lunch at Adega de Carnide, which offered some good traditional food and service.

Lisbon, the capital of Portugal

I suspect that I should have started off with this section - however I think sharing some information on Lisbon at any point is very good indeed.

What can I say about Lisbon? It is the capital of Portugal, it has a population of around 1 million people which makes it the largest city in the country and it is the country's chief port. Lisbon is one of the world's longest founded cities, with a history that dates back some 300,000 years.

From legend, the city was founded and named by Ulysses as Ulissipo or Olissoppo - this seems to have it's origins from Phoenician words meaning "enchanted port".

Under the Phoenicians the city prospered for more than 600 years, when it was occupied by the Greeks and the Carthaginians; they were followed by the Romans in 205BC, then the Barbarians in the 5th century AD and then the Moors in 715 AD until 1147. The city was captured in 1147AD by D. Afonso Henriques during the 1147 crusades, and was named the capital city of Portugal in 1252.

In 1755, an earthquake destroyed the entire city, it was rebuilt and many features remain visible today. In modern times the city was the European City of Culture in 1994, the city hosted Expo 1998 whose theme was the ocean due to Lisbon's involvement with discovery and sea voyages.

The city is one of contrasts, it has much to offer and discover - combining the early history of the city with more modern attractions. Culture of all kinds is plain to see and experience.

• Last visit to Lisbon: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 12, 2011

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Sadly, given the never ending, ever widening chasm between rich and poor, the poor will be always with us.What's an extra cup of coffee here and there? Just ignore the peddlers.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Hello, Gordon! Thanks for your story.....

gordonilla

“Travel is a passion, exploring a pleasure!”

Badges & Stats in Lisbon