"A Coruna" Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña by gordonilla
Coruña Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 363 photos
This is a view of Playa de Orzan y Riazor - it was a rather fresh and breezy afternoon when I took this picture. The surf was lively, and there were very few people swimming. Even at the height of summer the Atlantic is rather cold to swim in - albeit very invigorating. I always enjoy my visits to La Coruna, it has been described to me as very provincial Spain - it is very pleasant, relaxed and fresh. There is much to do here, both culturally and socially.
I have visited at different times throughout the year and no matter when I have visited I have retruned home very refreshed and relaxed - quite ready for the vigours of work. You should note that as it is located on the north west tip of Spain, the weather can be very wet - that fact notwithstanding I do recommend a visit!
The beaches are much used and the Atlantic is always lively and fresh. The image is from San Pedro Park over the roofs of the city. The park is also a museum like facility. It contains the remains of the military installation and guns which guarded the bay from the time of the Civil War through until the demise of the Generalissimo in the early 1970s.
In the summer the views are stunning - in the winter the views are as good but the top of the park is very cold.
The square is named after Maria Pita, and there is a statue to commemorate her memory. Maria Pita is a heroine of the city who has a musuem in her memory - she stood against the might of British military during the Napoleonic War.
The city hall is on one side of the square. It is a good place for a coffee and watch the people pass by, as the the other three sides of the square are lined by cafes and restaurants. Check out some of my suggestions for coffee and food.
It is for tourists or so I was told by some of my friends who live in La Coruna - so may be a little on the expensive side. However it is located in close proximity to the old city environs, several museums and other sites of interest.
- Pros:The Atlantic and the People
- In a nutshell:Once you have visited Galicia, you will never be a stranger again!
This is a wonderful place to visit - and it is a very well organised compnay with many outlets. Only 2 in La Coruna.... more travel advice
Most European cities and towns seem to offer Metro these days. I am glad to say that La Coruna is no exception to this;... more travel advice
- See All Convenience Shopping 365 days a year
- Deportivo A Coruna - the local football...
- See All Internet Cafe 2
gordonilla's Related Pages
Coruña Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Happy with La Coruna"
- "THE CRISTAL CITY"
- "A Coruna"
- "Coruna - the northwest bit of Spain"
- "La Coruña"
- "The joys of La Coruña"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coruña
- Hotels in Coruña
- Transportation in Coruña
- Nightlife in Coruña
- Restaurants in Coruña
- Shopping in Coruña
- Warnings and Dangers in Coruña
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coruña
- 53 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Coruña?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coruña
Photos in CoruñaSee All Photos (144)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 163 reviews, 634 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsinki Intro, 201 reviews, 568 photos, 11 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 51 reviews, 203 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 50 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 47 reviews, 163 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña Intro, 53 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 39 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich Intro, 35 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues