"My first visit to Iceland & Reykjavik" Reykjavík by gordonilla

Reykjavík Travel Guide: 945 reviews and 3,163 photos

Where to start; well from the hotel!

I have started my Reykjavik pages from the lobby of the Radisson SAS Hotel Saga located close to Reykjavik airport and the old town. I have a pleasant room which is on the 6th floor and it has some goood views. The photograph is a snowy view from the window of room 661.

The hotel is a very short walk from the sea front, which when it is clear you can see the distant shoreline and the mountains.

Iceland for ever!

I find that i have a great liking for Iceland and Icelanders. They may be a small Island nation, but they are proud and incredibly interesting with a long history of dealing with adversity, but winning through in the end.

The one thing I did note, that unlike many of the other Nordic countries I have visited, the flying of their flag was not always done. Not every house had a flagpole; even Government House did not seem to fly the flag when I was passing it.

What would Ingólfr Arnarson (modern Icelandic Ingólfur Arnarson) think of what has become of his original farmstead? I am sure he would be proud and happy.

• Pros:Excellent People, Food and Swimming Halls
  • Cons:None that I experienced
  • In a nutshell:Relaxation and Fun
  • Last visit to Reykjavík: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2010

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM

planning my trip next month, thanks for the tips especially the restaurants, we will see about that onion soup!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Fantastic tips on my home-town!

• tsukiko.'s Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Thank you for nice tips.Especially,Restaurant tips are detailed explanation!It made me want to go to that cafes.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Excellent Icelandic tips. Will check back later for more. Cheers, SL :)

gordonilla

“Travel is a passion, exploring a pleasure!”

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík

Have you been to Reykjavík?

Latest Activity in Reykjavík