"Not quite what you might expect......" Mikkeli by gordonilla
Mikkeli Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 105 photos
During my initial trip to Finland, my friends Irja and Hannu took me to some interesting places.
The picture is of me sitting on an armchair which was used by Marshall Mannerheim. The chair is in a Manor house which was used as the Marshall's billet during the War. This was the house he left to sign the peace treay with the Soviet Union.
The house itself, at this time of my visit, owned by the widow of opera singer, Marty Talvela; and we had a pleasant afternoon with the owner and her weekend guests.
Wonderful hospitality, coffee and cakes.
Mikkeli is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Southern Savonia region.
The municipality has a population of 48,757 (31 March 2010) with some 34,000 in the actual town. The area captured by the Municipality is 2,124.62 sq km of which 423.2 sq km is water.
Mikkeli was the site for the headquarters of the Finnish armed forces during World War II. In recognition of this, the coat of arms shown incorporates crossed Marshal's batons, and the Cross of Liberty, awarded to the town is also displayed within the coat of arms.
gordonilla's Related Pages
Mikkeli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A sweet small town"
- "Nice finnish town to visit in summer"
- "My hometown Mikkeli"
- "The jewel in the crown of Finnish Lakeland"
- "Headquarter town"
- "Not quite what you might expect......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mikkeli
- Hotels in Mikkeli
- Transportation in Mikkeli
- Nightlife in Mikkeli
- Restaurants in Mikkeli
- Shopping in Mikkeli
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mikkeli
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Mikkeli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mikkeli
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 152 reviews, 584 photos, 7 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 179 reviews, 437 photos, 10 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 57 reviews, 198 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 50 reviews, 177 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 47 reviews, 163 photos, 5 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coruña Intro, 53 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 43 reviews, 124 photos
- Munich Intro, 33 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues