"A first visit to Africa" Lagos by gordonilla

Lagos Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 257 photos

A business visit to Nigeria

This was my first visit to the continent of Africa - a business trip to Nigeria.

It was a reasonable start to the week, an enjoyable journey and some interesting in flight entertainment! After watching a film I checked the map and discovered that we were well over the Sahara. The aircraft windows did not really give a good and clear view, but I did manage to get a couple of fairly clear images.

It was indeed a strange experience to be over so much land which had no visible life or structures; from the height we were flying at it seemed very isolated. It was also strange, even more so perhaps, that when i touched the window is was very hot to touch, unlike my past experiences where the altitude is very cold and crystals form on the windows.

Arriving in Lagos

It had been a long flight and when we were approaching Lagos, i was struck by how large the city is - it is one of the top 10 growing cities in the world and it is the third largest city in Africa.

Once again the photographs i was able to take from the aircraft were not so clear, but at least you can see the city through the clouds in the attached image. It looked very clear when we were making our approach journey, we then passed through clouds and when we landed it was in fact raining so heavily I was unable to capture anything of the airport buildings due to a constant flow of water across the windows. It was at least still day light - so I had hoped to get a few images when i left the terminal.

This was not to be the case, due to a very long entry process to get into the airport and the country itself. There were many checks on our passage through the air port terminal and by the time we were outside it was in fact very dark. However it was incredibly lively and full of people meeting others, trading and just being around.

After meeting colleagues and waiting for our vehicle (and being introduced to our armed security) it took well over an hour to get to our hotel. It was a comfortable, cool and very secure complex, The Southern Sun hotel.

What can be said about Lagos?

As i was travelling on business, my company has certain protocols to be followed, and as such i was not really able to get out and about and take photographs as i have done elsewhere in the world. We were transported from hotel to office and then to where ever else we needed to visit. This meant that many of my photographs where taken from the car.

However it was good to see the real Lagos as we traveled - crossing bridges, through crowded streets, being stuck in traffic jams and seeing the lagoon and some of the islands that form Lagos.

As Lagos is a port, you can imagine that there will be water featuring in the scenery as you travel around this huge metropolis.

• Last visit to Lagos: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“Travel is a passion, exploring a pleasure!”

Badges & Stats in Lagos