"Ultimate Guide to Rochester, Minnesota" Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester by Jehcekah

Rochester Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 96 photos

I have lived in Rochester for four years, off and on. When I first found myself in this small, ultra-conservative city, I was restless and I wanted to get away from it as fast as I could. After living in Europe and returning to Rochester, I have a new found sense of appreciation for this place. Hopefully I can give you an idea of what this town is all about and what you can do to keep yourself entertained while you are here.

Rochester City Facts:

Annual Job Growth: +3.5%
Four Bedroom House: $145,000
Sales Tax: 7%
Violent Crimes per 100,000 people: 254
Average Commute Time: 14 Minutes (shortest in US)
Annual Sunny Days: 200
Largest Employers: Mayo Clinic, IBM, Rochester School District
Size: 35 sq. miles
Doctor to Population Ratio: 1 to 70
Average Summer High: 84 F
Average Winter Low: 3 F
Date Founded: 1854

WFMC - World Famous Mayo Clinic

There is no official founding date for the Mayo Clinic. Mayo celebrated its Centennial in 1964, 100 years after William Worrall Mayo settled in Rochester and began his medical practice. His sons, Will and Charlie, began to aid him in his practice, and after their graduation from medical school in the 1880s they joined him in "the Drs. Mayo" practice that culminated in the sons' development of the Mayo group practice of medicine.

• Intro Updated May 13, 2004

• Apr 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Just wanted to say once more 'how much' my wife, Jewell Faye, and I enjoyed our visit at the Kahler Grand (3/17-20/08)! We just couldn't have been treated any better or nicer. -- Dr. Ricky Gray

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 4:57 AM

Nice Page on Rochester, I enjoyed reading it.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2004 at 12:50 PM

A nice page, especially the lake with the canada geese. We have canada geese fly over our house in the evenings, its lovely to watch them

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 9:19 AM

Interesting reading. My only time in Minnesota was to change planes in Minneapolis.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2004 at 11:33 AM

Rochester looks like a great place to live. Enjoyed my virtual tour! : o)

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 5:41 AM

Hi Jessica - thanks for visiting my Cambridge page. Rochester looks like a pleasant place - I like the idea of the skyway/subways - very handy in winter!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2004 at 4:35 PM

Hi Jessica ,this is a very nice page of Rochester,great informative page for visitors to Rochester ,Lori & I have been to Bloomington once some years ago ,if we come out that way Rochester looks very nice for a visit.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 11:54 AM

A compact insightful insight into the real USA ;-)))

Jehcekah

“You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

Badges & Stats in Rochester

Have you been to Rochester?

Latest Activity in Rochester