"Two English Yanks" Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by Jehcekah

Winchester Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 381 photos

Our adventure of living in England

My husband and I moved to Winchester, England in the summer of 2002 for an international assignment with his company. We encountered many adventures during our stay and also took the opportunity to travel all over England and the rest of Europe.

I did not get a job during our year in England, so I used that time to volunteer with the Winchester Cathedral as a tour guide and entrance steward. The cathedral is, without a doubt, the main attraction in the city. It is a must see!

• In a nutshell:Quaint history and charm beneath England's largest cathedral.
  • Last visit to Winchester: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 21, 2004

• geoveo's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Hi thanks for your Winchester pages. We're going there for a short break and it's good to see it through someone else's eyes, not just the tourist board's view. Although we only live 100 miles away it's often those places close by that you overlook.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Hello, Jessica! <><> Thanx for your splendid page... Great destination...

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Excellent page, with lots of insider info. I was in Winchester for half an hour or so and was only able to see the cathedral. Must go back to see the other places you describe.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Wonderful look at Winchester. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 8:07 AM

Very good page with fine pics and tips.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2005 at 5:37 PM

Hi, Jessica, great Winchester pages. You certainly seem to have the place taped. It appears we even took some of the same photos (see River Itchen e.g.) It certainly is a lovely place. fergy.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 9:48 AM

A place I've never visited, but must get round to seeing.

• Jul 1, 2005 at 5:33 AM

The structure dates back to the 16th century. Creeky floors. No privacy shades on windows. In the bathroom, the shower was a trickle; in the sink, you can either get v. hot water, or v. cold (can't mix them). Horrible service at breakfast. Stay away.

• Jul 1, 2004 at 6:24 AM

Great tips and phtographs.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2004 at 8:19 AM

With both the 'best' and 'worst' of where to stay, I'll bookmark this page. Looks like a fine town alternative for a weekend away from London!

Jehcekah

“You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

Badges & Stats in Winchester

Have you been to Winchester?

Latest Activity in Winchester