"Bavarian Honeymoon" Bavaria by Jehcekah
Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,315 reviews and 36,414 photos
Munich is the cradle of Bavaria. The city is steeped in a rich history and a modern outlook. In the same day one can visit the famous Glockenspiel and can take a peek at BMW's latest inventions at the BMW Museum. While Munich definitely has a lot to offer, the surrounding towns are some of Bavarias jewels. Our first stop, thanks to a horrible travel agent, was Bad Reichenhall. This is a town where Germans go to be healed. It is known as a "spa town" where you can encounter scores of older Germans trying out salt-filled air at Graduation Plants and sipping on spring waters. Our next stop was Berchtesgaden, not only home to Hitler's infamous Eagle's Nest, but also home to the most beautiful scenery in all of Bavaria. Just west of Berchtesgaden is Fuessen, the location of the fairy-tale Neuschwanstein castle and Hohenschwangau castle. Definitely awe-inspiring! Just up the Romantic Road is Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a medival city surrounded by a 16th century wall. We encountered some rain here, but the gloomy day only enhanced the romanticism of the area.
This being our first trip to Europe, we did a lot of things wrong and consequently learned many things!
1. Don't bring luggage if you don't have a car! Bring backpacks!!
2. The train system is fairly easy to coordinate, but try renting a car for atleast some of your time there.
3. Don't depend solely on a travel agent's advice. The internet IS a reliable way to plan your European Vacation as long as you use it wisely.
We only used the train. In Munich the public transportation systems are fantastic! If only they have more of that in the States. It is easy to follow as you can get information in English from the EurAide office in the trainstation. We were there very often. We stayed in two hotel systems. Minotel and Best Western. They claim to locate their hotels near trainstations, or at least that is what our horrible travel agent told us. This was false and we were often forced to walk a long distance with our luggage...except for the time when kind strangers gave us a ride up a mountain to our hotel. Taxis are not readily available in small towns, but are easy to catch in bigger cites.
We only used the train. It worked out just fine for us. The train schedules are fairly dependable and there is an office... more travel advice
A must visit for all tourists. The glockenspiel is interesting, but don't give up your day to stand and wait for it to... more travel advice
Jehcekah's Related Pages
Bavaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
- "2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey"
- "Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)"
- "Bavaria - under construction"
- "Bavarian tours"
- "Websites Bavaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bavaria
- Hotels in Bavaria
- Transportation in Bavaria
- Nightlife in Bavaria
- Restaurants in Bavaria
- Shopping in Bavaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bavaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bavaria
- 15 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Bavaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bavaria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 27 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester Intro, 26 reviews, 16 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- England Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Bavaria Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- New York City Intro, 16 reviews, 12 photos
- Scotland Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Rome Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Bavaria hotels
- Munich Hotels
- 4322 Reviews - 10033 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 932 Reviews - 3138 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1105 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 384 Reviews - 1277 Photos
- Frankfurt Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 79 Photos
- Oberammergau Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 199 Photos
- Aschaffenburg Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 51 Photos
- Regensburg Hotels
- 252 Reviews - 812 Photos
- Mittenwald Hotels
- 81 Reviews - 295 Photos
- Berchtesgaden Hotels
- 283 Reviews - 828 Photos
- Bamberg Hotels
- 454 Reviews - 1419 Photos
- Kempten Hotels
- 66 Reviews - 251 Photos
- Hohenschwangau Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 207 Photos