"Bavarian Honeymoon" Bavaria by Jehcekah

Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,144 reviews and 35,707 photos

Munich is the cradle of Bavaria. The city is steeped in a rich history and a modern outlook. In the same day one can visit the famous Glockenspiel and can take a peek at BMW's latest inventions at the BMW Museum. While Munich definitely has a lot to offer, the surrounding towns are some of Bavarias jewels. Our first stop, thanks to a horrible travel agent, was Bad Reichenhall. This is a town where Germans go to be healed. It is known as a "spa town" where you can encounter scores of older Germans trying out salt-filled air at Graduation Plants and sipping on spring waters. Our next stop was Berchtesgaden, not only home to Hitler's infamous Eagle's Nest, but also home to the most beautiful scenery in all of Bavaria. Just west of Berchtesgaden is Fuessen, the location of the fairy-tale Neuschwanstein castle and Hohenschwangau castle. Definitely awe-inspiring! Just up the Romantic Road is Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a medival city surrounded by a 16th century wall. We encountered some rain here, but the gloomy day only enhanced the romanticism of the area.

Quick Tips/Suggestions

This being our first trip to Europe, we did a lot of things wrong and consequently learned many things!
1. Don't bring luggage if you don't have a car! Bring backpacks!!
2. The train system is fairly easy to coordinate, but try renting a car for atleast some of your time there.
3. Don't depend solely on a travel agent's advice. The internet IS a reliable way to plan your European Vacation as long as you use it wisely.

Best Way to Get Around

We only used the train. In Munich the public transportation systems are fantastic! If only they have more of that in the States. It is easy to follow as you can get information in English from the EurAide office in the trainstation. We were there very often. We stayed in two hotel systems. Minotel and Best Western. They claim to locate their hotels near trainstations, or at least that is what our horrible travel agent told us. This was false and we were often forced to walk a long distance with our luggage...except for the time when kind strangers gave us a ride up a mountain to our hotel. Taxis are not readily available in small towns, but are easy to catch in bigger cites.

• Last visit to Bavaria: May 2002
  • Intro Written Jan 16, 2004

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Nice page Jessica. A gorgeous part of Germany, you've given lots of good info here. leyle

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Great stuff, I'm impressed. Quality tips, nice pics and only 3 spelling mistakes. I'll be back for more.

• Mar 21, 2006 at 7:54 AM

Hi My name is william eaason and I would like too know how I can get in contact with David the tour guide. Thanks William

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 3:54 AM

Awesome page!! Very in depth..I like Munich but Berchtesgaden and Heidelberg are by far one of the best place to be in Germany

• shellybelly567's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2004 at 11:31 PM

Nice bavaria page...I loved Germany when I was there this summer, so I always enjoy checking out other people's Germany pages.

• prleprle's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2004 at 7:23 AM

Very usefull tips and great description. You really had alot of adventures with accommodation!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2004 at 11:46 AM

Jessica, isn't "drunk Aussies" a redundant term? (Note to my lovely friends from Oz.....just kidding, mates.) Great honeymoon, J. I enjoyed your page.

• Feb 3, 2004 at 2:15 AM

Great page and photos!

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2004 at 3:13 PM

Beautiful page. I like your photos

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2004 at 9:15 AM

Looks a beautiful place ! I got as far as the Austrian alps !!

Jehcekah

“You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

Badges & Stats in Bavaria

Have you been to Bavaria?

Latest Activity in Bavaria