"San Pedro, an Urban Original by the Sea" San Pedro by marinarena
San Pedro Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 204 photos
This line is what stands out in my mind to describe San Pedro. She, with the very masculine name, is officially a part of Los Angeles.
Her soul is similar that of Venice, California- they are really soul sisters together within L.A. limits. Both have that grundgy kind of appeal, as Nirvana has for some rock n roll fans. They are lovably pathetic , ugly yet beautiful and gray yet colorful places. You would truly know what I mean if you have been to both cities within a city. But enough with the comparisons...
San Pedro is an original, staying true to its own modest and funky urban identity and quality. If you look for opulence in her, I'm afraid that you will be disappointed. Something quite remarkable is that SP clings on to its history and tradition with a firm hold, rather than letting it subside deep into suburbanization. This is quite refreshing to be a witness to this considering that more and more cities are caving in to suburban ways and attitudes (in the negative connotations of suburbanization, that is) ...
Don't forget that L.A. is a port city, one of the biggest in the world. It's not just about Hollywood here. Because of all of the port activity, this area is significant. Many of America's goods originate right here in the heart of San Pedro.
The port gives San Pedro a distinct look that can be described as either picturesque or down right ugly equally. The green water is surely nasty and not for swimming. However, sailing on the murky green is quite all right. In fact, San pedro is a major place to go for a sail in the L.A. area.
Lots of insider stuff to add!
- Pros:Ports O Call entertainment, strong sense of history, very ethnically diverse, unpretenious/down-to-earth, Long Beach adjacent
- Cons:some undeveloped & unattractive streets/areas, dirty beach area, out of the way location for many L.A. tourists, making it easily missed but interesting to discover
- In a nutshell:Don't think of coming here for the beach-think sailing here!
So, here is an example why people who are not familar with the local area can have some trouble, in this case a minor... more travel advice
Port / Waterfront Scenery! Did you know? San Pedro is a popular film location for major pictures. How could it not be... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Ships, Ships, Ships!
Written May 9, 2016
Tall Ships Festival Collage
marinarena's Related Pages
San Pedro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Pedro~Home of USS IOWA"
- "San Pedro, an Urban Original by the Sea"
- "Jumping Around Cabrillo, San Pedro!"
- "San Pedro: What A Surprise"
- "San Pedro"
- "Great views of the harbor and Catalina"
- "The Place of Begining"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Pedro
- Hotels in San Pedro
- Transportation in San Pedro
- Restaurants in San Pedro
- Warnings and Dangers in San Pedro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Pedro
- 13 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to San Pedro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Pedro
Photos in San PedroSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 225 reviews, 529 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 90 reviews, 205 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 56 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues