"Getting at the Heart of L.A." Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles by marinarena
Los Angeles Travel Guide: 4,613 reviews and 9,564 photos
Hmmm... the City of Angels? OK, she is not so angelic but what's really in a name anyway?
OOH L.A.! She's cool, fake, stylized, vast and never boring for sure!
She's emerging especially in her DOWNTOWN region, which will be especially covered in these pages, but communities from all directions of the center will be well covered too.
Throughout my " Tales of a Twisted Angel", I will reiterate: It's hard to know where Los Angeles begins and ends! I'm still learning about this giant metropolis myself. With every trip, I am more puzzled but I'll try to bring new, fresh aspects of the fabulous metro area and greater L.A.
(The WEST L.A. page will focus on the popular Westwood area, the quiet and prominent Brentwood (including The Getty Center) and business mecca of Century City, as well as smaller portions of the city due west:
West Los Angeles)
Here, you will discover why I say on my homepage that L.A. is continually "pregnant" with communities inside of it. The following four communities are officially part of Los Angeles, though are such distinct communities that they have separate pages. Still, it is OK to call them L.A. since they lie within the city:
Many cities of Los Angeles COUNTY, that are often considered as part of what is thought to be L.A. (but are NOT), are highlighted on other pages of mine. They include:
Santa Monica, Pasadena, Glendale, Long Beach, West Hollywood, and Beverly Hills.
For info on the L.A. adjacent SOUTH BAY area, check out the Torrance page,
as well as Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach.
Some cities that are mentioned on this group of Los Angeles subpages are smaller cities especially from the SAN GABRIEL VALLEY(SGV) region. Both L.A. and Pasadena pages highlight the SGV suburbs.
Check List of Fun/Interesting
Well-Known places :
Downtown LA and immediate surrounding areas
For cultural and history buffs, there is Olvera Street & Union Station in downtown or "Central City" (though no one really says the latter), Chinatown
(cheap shopping) and Little Tokyo (so clean, unspoiled, GOOD sushi!) .
For mingling, people-watching, or just "being seen", go to L.A. Live, 7th and Fig and Grand Park. Do entertainment hotspots like Orpheum Theater, Staples Center and Music Center.
For fine accommodation, try the historic Millenium Biltmore Hotel and Bonaventure Hotel.
Neighborhoods to explore that are close to downtown include Los Feliz ("hipster" heaven) & Silverlake (ditto), featured in off the beaten path tips of L.A.
Western enclaves of L.A.
Go to the Getty and LACMA museums, Farmer's Market/The Grove and the Westwood Village, and get to know the communities of West L.A., Miracle Mile/Park La Brea, Westwood, Brentwood and more.
(all featured on my West L.A. pages)
All right, to further add to the confusion that is L.A., I really would be remiss to not mention the official & unofficial northern parts of L.A. which together make up the so-ballyhooed "Valley"
Many outside of L.A. came to know a little something of "the Valley" in the 80s classic movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High" in which "valley girls" (and people in general) were touted.
To get the feel of the Hollywood industry outside of Hollywood, visit these official communities of L.A, where many of the industry and just the regular folk live and gather :
Read about Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino and Tarzana in off the beaten path for now. All deserve their own page really, like the L.A. community of Hollywood.
(Picture is taken off the Gold Line Metro rails, Union Station area)
You'll see many more tips especially dealing with downtown L.A. because it is really coming into its own and should gather much more attention!
On my L.A. tips:
--I will have a focus on seasonal events which I'll attend myself, as well as year-round activities in my" Things to dos".
--Tolerate the many pizza & Italian "Restaurant tips" as I am on the continuous search for the best pizza in southern California.
--There is much to do on an L.A. night of course. See more "Nightlife tips" L.A. county links above (Santa Monica, Hollywood, West Hollywood, etc)
- Pros:mostly great weather year-round, emerging arts & cultural center, fun nightlife, exciting area that NEVER bores, goregous hillside views throughout the area, a very laidback attitude & lifestyle, new excitement in downtown & downtown-adjacent area
- Cons:too much car traffic & pollution; so widespread to appreciate in a short visit, depressing poor areas, increasingly high living costs in some areas, undeveloped & crime-filled parts like in most cities
- In a nutshell:If you can't live it up in L.A, there really is something wrong with YOU :-)
Dubbed as the largest L.A. street festival, Taste of Soul celebrates "soulfulness" in community collaboration, food and... more travel advice
King Taco is arguably the original taqueria of Los Angeles. Covering downtown East LA, suburban L.A. county and also... more travel advice
- See All Don't Get Caught on the 110/ 10 Express...
- See All (Re)Discover Historic Shrine
- See All Bike a Delicious Meal Off Free Here by...
- See All Discover Little Lithuania
- See All Get your Talk Radio, Traffic...
marinarena's Related Pages
Los Angeles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
- "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- "Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
- "Los Angeles"
- "My Hometown: Los Angeles"
- "Gloss Angeles"
- "City of the Angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Hotels in Los Angeles
- Transportation in Los Angeles
- Nightlife in Los Angeles
- Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Shopping in Los Angeles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Angeles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Angeles
- 224 Reviews
- 523 Photos
- 74 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Angeles
- Wrote a Review Take Appetite For Food & Culture at Taste of Soul about Combined Suggestions in Los Angeles Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take Appetite For Food & Culture at Taste of Soul"
- Posted in Travel Hollywood Forum "Re: FREE ATTRACTIONS IN LOS..."
- updated a Los Angeles Travel Page "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- Commented on one of marinarena's Los Angeles tips
- Commented on the Los Angeles travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Los Angeles
Photos in Los AngelesSee All Photos (523)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 224 reviews, 524 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 90 reviews, 205 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 56 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues