"Livin' it Up in La Habra- well, not really!" La Habra by marinarena
La Habra Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 34 photos
but at last! I found a nice water display in my own town!
My old hometown location is La Habra, situated in the northwest part of Orange County. In Spanish, the city means "the cove". Thank God for the Spanish language or else, this city would have such a bland taste. Well, perhaps for the native Spanish speaker, La habra is also quite plain to the ears. Who's to say ?
...OK, so, I come to find out that "La Habra" actually came from the longer name of the city, Rancho Canada de La Habra and that the La Habra was understood as "la abra", or, "the opening". The city is a kind of pass to the hills just north of the community.
Here is a pitch for the city :
Take a slice of La Habra pie, an all-American city.
It is NOW probably best known for being the new town of Nadya Suleman, the oh so infamous Octo-Mom (Oh my God, make her go away!!!) For local interest, people may visit here for the Children's Museum or the big Howard's Appliance with the giant TV screens on Imperial Highway.
Caption: here's a pretty shot of the butterfly statue near Children's Museum.
OK, so La Habra is not so much on the So Cal radar but its location is ideal, not so far away from the crazy city life of Los Angeles and near other, more intriguing parts of Orange county. Its central location is great for someone visiting the intrigue of L.A. and Hollywood, which is a good 20 miles (about 30 km) away as well as Disneyland, which is just 10 miles (about 16 km).
La Habra has a bit of an identity crisis. Officially, LH is situated with Orange county borders yet our Fire Dept is under Los Angeles County! The main area code of LH is 562, different from 714, the main area code of North O.C.(Of course, this is not to say that a city is linked strongly to county by sharing the same area code in these days of multiple codes within a county). 562 is mainly the area code of Long Beach, which is about 15 miles away west.
I cannot leave out talk of La Habra Heights which is situated directly north of here. LHH is a cute community (and city) seperate from La Habra, However, LHH is so damn small and overly residential to mention in great detail on the pages. It's interesting to note that La Habra's baby sister city is not in O.C but in L.A. county and has a 626 area code!
The caption for this pic: flower tile on brick near Children's Museum, our best known landmark and attraction (see "Things to do" page).
For those searching for a great adventure or grand social affair here, well, I'm afraid that you won't find much here. Indeed you will not "live it up" in this little part of the world, but hey, it's fairly close to Disneyland!
- Pros:centrally located in So Cal, quite friendly, charming "americana" feel yet still with apparent mix of nationalities,decent place for the family
- Cons:challenging to reach by freeway, in danger of becoming too commercial like most L.A suburbs, needs downtown improvement , some shady/unkept spots
- In a nutshell:Experience a normal town, midway of idealistic L.A and Orange county!
In a modest town such as La Habra, one expects to go out of town for fine dining, at least immediately east to more chic... more travel advice
Seeing the Unexpected in My Own Town! La Habra is a commmunity of various ethnicities, which apparently has a number of... more travel advice
marinarena's Related Pages
La Habra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Livin' it Up in La Habra- well, not really!"
- "La Where?"
- "La Habra - Just a stone throw away"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Habra
- Hotels in La Habra
- Transportation in La Habra
- Nightlife in La Habra
- Restaurants in La Habra
- Shopping in La Habra
- Warnings and Dangers in La Habra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Habra
- 14 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to La Habra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Habra
Photos in La HabraSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 224 reviews, 524 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 90 reviews, 205 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 56 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues