Hollywood Off The Beaten Path Tips by marinarena Top 5 Page for this destination
Hollywood Off The Beaten Path: 23 reviews and 25 photos
Psychiatry of Death museum, Hollywood, California
if not too scared off by pro-Scientology establishments. The Citizens Commission on Human Rights building hosts the Psychiatry: An Industry of Death Museum, founded in 2005. This intriguing museum is really a medium-sized gallery that has a continuous exhibition on the history and effects of psychiatry. The message of the exhibit is relating the practice of psychiatry to violent historial events, like the Holocaust of World War II and various trends of the world such as torture toliterian and racist practices of 20th century, particularly.
Upon entry of the exhibition is a morose and ominious "greeting " (if you will) displayed on the doors by Dante (The Divine Comedy). Once inside the exhibition, I felt oddly as if at I of all places one could think of, at Disneyland. It was as if in the Haunted House attraction and I expected for the room to shake. actual displays of abuse, some used by psychiatrists.
If you think history lessons are boring, you will change your mind after visiting here. So much to learn here!
The CCHR's museum rivals the Museum of Tolerance, off Pico Blvd in West Los Angeles. If you attracted to the macabre or, perhaps,are a history buff, this is one place not to miss. If faint of the heart, walk on and proceed down Sunset for mindless club culture, Amoeba Records and feel good movie watching at the movies at the Archlight.
Some video and pictoral images and displays from the exhbition are graphic and disturbing. It may not be suitable for kids about 10 years old and younger to see.
Although a Pro-Scientologist establishment, anyone is invited to come. If visiting, one may or may not be confronted by Anti-Scientologists nearby who do regularly protest at the main Scientology buildings in Hollwyood. uring my visit, there was not any protests occuring.
There is no Scientologist propoganda during the main exhibit area. Only, a departing video played only when manually pushed, mentions the world Scientology.
Entrance is free though donation is appreciated. There was no pressure for donation while I attended.
Taking pictures and cameras are not allowed in the exhibition.
Located at 6616 Sunset Blvd., about 10-15 min walking time from the Metro Hollywood/Vine Red Line stop
Other Contact: HumanRights@cchr.org
Hollywood, Los Angeles...at a cementary!
Hollywood Forever Cementary
A full journal entry should really be posted here on my impressions from visiting Hollywood Forever Cementary, but here's a brief commentary:
What an absolutely fascinating stop in perhaps the most unflattering, mundane part of Hollywood. Along Santa Monica Blvd by shabby Little Armenia is a beautifully restored and artistic landscape of land dedicated to memorialize those who were both ordinary and Hollywood famous.
Some notables entombed and remembered otherwised include movie mogul Cecil B. De Mille, actress Jayne Mansfield, actor Rudolph Valentino and Loony Tunes' famed creator Mel Blanc, whose tombstone reads "That's All Folks", a rather appropriate or at least befitting last words.
If the idea of hanging out at a cementary creeps you out, still come for the mere artistry of the obelisk, mausoleum and other momentual structures. This is one fine place to have a stroll and take in the gorgeous views of flowers and the Clark Island pond (but look out for the pugnacious geese)! Pictures to come here soon!
More Reviews (33)
- See All Experience Revitalized Hollywood & Vine
- Run Carefully, or walk at Runyon Canyon
- See All Something Good,Tender & Delicate in...
- See All Take Shuttle to Hollywood Bowl
- See All OK, this is the original Music Heaven in...
- See All Be in the atmosphere of Bukowski due...
- See All Yikes- a scary movie at the cementary!
- See All OK, indulge- I mean it's ice cream and...
- Drive through but don't stay so long in...
- Hollywood Fun & Hilarity at Halloween
marinarena's Related Pages
Hollywood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hollywood? Hollyweird? Both?"
- "Seeing Stars...."
- "Perceived Hollywood-The Glamor and the Grundge"
- "Beers G-Style: Hollywood"
- "It's all about movie stars"
- "HOLLYWOOD - Not Quite What I'd Imagined!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hollywood
- Hotels in Hollywood
- Transportation in Hollywood
- Nightlife in Hollywood
- Restaurants in Hollywood
- Shopping in Hollywood
- Warnings and Dangers in Hollywood
- See All...
Explore the World
- Whiddy Island Hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- Battambang Hotels
- Rosario Beach Hotels
- Eastern Region
Badges & Stats in Hollywood
- 35 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Hollywood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hollywood
Photos in HollywoodSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 203 reviews, 448 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 75 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 43 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 28 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 38 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fullerton Intro, 31 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 27 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Hollywood hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 759 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Loews Hollywood Hotel
- 358 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Econo Lodge
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles - Hollywood
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hollywood Star Inn And Suites
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Super 8 Motel - Hollywood/Los Angeles Area
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Quality Inn Hollywood
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- HIGHLAND GARDENS HOTEL
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hollywood Hills Hotel
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Saharan Motor Hotel
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Economy Inn Hollywood
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2013
- Andaz West Hollywood
- 921 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Best Western Hollywood Hills Hotel
- 266 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Vagabond Inn Executive Hollywood
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hollywood Metropolitan Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Grauman's Chinese Theater- 29 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Hollywood Sign- 14 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Hollywood Boulevard- 6 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Universal Studios- 13 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Hollywood Wax Museum- 7 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Walk of Fame- 22 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Kodak Theatre- 4 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Hollywood Bowl- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Warner Brothers Studios- 2 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Ripley's Believe It or Not- 3 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Hollywood Things to Do