"Perceived Hollywood- The Glamor and the Grunge" Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood by marinarena
Hollywood Travel Guide: 501 reviews and 1,519 photos
My metaphor of Los Angeles really does come to play here with Hollywood. L.A. is the mother with a permanent fetus of Holly swimming inside of her.
So, what makes L.A. twisted? Partly, Hollywood! This part of town is under distortion, constantly changing in form and image.
We may think that we know Holly because from the movies and television shows- but there is much to discover and make sense of the real her. Sure, there is the glamorous side of her with The Oscars ceremony and fancy movie premieres at Mann's. But they is most certainly too the grunge, seen on Holly's streets. There are blocks and blocks of depressing, dirty, drab, drug infested blocks of town. Yet also to the surprise of some, Holly's is cleaning up and becoming more suburban in many corners of town.
In a way, Holly is progressively losing uniqueness in the makings of an (almost) suburbia (OH, THE MODERNITY!) The town has broken ground on a good number of retail chains (Walgreens, Trader Joe's, Bed, Bath and Beyond, etc) which are making a positive impact here in the local economy. Good business leads to cleaner, prettier streets, which leads often to less and less crime in parts.
Yet some Hollywood admirers feel that more major retail giants will likely clutter and transform the town into an "ordinary town U.S.A", like in Orange county. They would cry foul if big business cleaned out several "mom and pop" shops.
Rest assured large traces of her original flair are very apparent and will remain, thanks in large part to those who fight to preserve classic Hollywood character, venues and landmarks. Business goals determined by city officials will be balanced for both big and small biz so that both can coexist.
Ultimately, Holly will not lose her identity completely- that there would be a tragedy like one scripted for the cameras.
Also see my sister Hollywood pages of West Hollywood and North Hollywood in my Travel Pages!
No Ho has the popular Universal Studios, the neon amusement city on a hill.
We Ho has more of the posh side when it comes to the "Hollywood" ideal.
it's just so appropriate to have a shop called "Forplay" :-)
- Pros:exciting nightlife, never boring, unique shops, appreciative of diversity & tourist dollars, central location, affordable, easy to arrive and enjoy via Metro with no need for a car really
- Cons:some badly kept areas, drugs/thugs on shady streets, overload of commercialism, fake stereotype/ image
- In a nutshell:Come to Hollywood-Where the stars and the regulars are!
One of the more classier venues in Hollywood, Grauman's Egyptian - American Cinematique is an enchanting night out... more travel advice
Joe's is where to go if you like your pizza the no nonsense way! Non nonsense in this case means thin and crispy New... more travel advice
- Run Carefully, or walk at Runyon Canyon
- See All See a fascinating anti-Psychiatry...
- See All Take Shuttle to Hollywood Bowl
- See All OK, this is the original Music Heaven in...
marinarena's Related Pages
Hollywood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hollywood? Hollyweird? Both?"
- "~Hollywood~always updating:)"
- "Seeing Stars...."
- "Perceived Hollywood- The Glamor and the Grunge"
- "Beers G-Style: Hollywood"
- "It's all about movie stars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hollywood
- Hotels in Hollywood
- Transportation in Hollywood
- Nightlife in Hollywood
- Restaurants in Hollywood
- Shopping in Hollywood
- Warnings and Dangers in Hollywood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hollywood
- 38 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Hollywood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hollywood
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: Useful Advice for a First..."
- Wrote a Review Discover Cinema Special Engagements at Egyptian about Combined Suggestions in Hollywood Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Discover Cinema Special Engagements at Egyptian"
- updated a Hollywood Travel Page "Perceived Hollywood- The Glamor and the Grunge"
- Commented on one of marinarena's Hollywood tips
Photos in HollywoodSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 219 reviews, 504 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 86 reviews, 199 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 53 reviews, 124 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 38 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Mesa Intro, 24 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues