"Experience the Unusual, Quaint Charm of Oil City" Top 5 Page for this destination El Segundo by marinarena
El Segundo Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 332 photos
El Segundo ("the second" in Spanish) is the origin of the second oil refinery of Standard Oil. Locally, Seg is noted as being a top business-friendly city with many skyscrapers (including the Mattel building).
Many hip hop fans know this town due to the catchy hit, "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo") by the old school A Tribe Called Quest. However, the town featured in the title is hardly represented in the rap group's video. El 2ndo is wrongly depicted as barren desert between Arizona and Mexico.
(See video here: http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--2138574)
El Segundo has been used for filming, mostly notably for some scenes of the Ashton Kutcher movie, Dude, Where's My Car? and the creepy, cool Fox drama Bones. Comedian Redd Foxx's character Sanford (on TV's Sanford and Sons) often referred to the town where a junkyard is at. The real El Segundo is hardly a dumping spot.
For several years, I paid El Segundo no mind, other than recalling the Tribe Called Quest song. I thought of the city as not clean, as if the oil from the refinery runneth all over the place, making it smelly and gooey. This is hardly the case. The streets of El Segundo are very clean. Over the past few years, the town is one of my surprising recommendations for a daytime hang out. The town can boast of a few dozen excellent eateries, which are slightly upscale but inviting. Along the Seg border with VT hometown/upscale beachy paradise of Manhattan Beach, the outdoor mall mecca development Plaza El Segundo (along Sepulveda Blvd) is sure to attract many visitors looking to shop, mingle, have a drink and eat fab food.
- Pros:close to airport/easy for arrival, fairly safe to visit (low crime), business-friendly, small and quaint downtown area to explore, very good downtown restaurants/ shops, not congested
- Cons:airplane noise of LAX (though not as bad as before), ugly industry area by beach
- In a nutshell:Experience First-Class in Second City!
Meeting by Rosecrans & Sepulveda is quite local and social phenomenon, at Plaza El Segundo. It's an attractive outdoor... more travel advice
El Segundo is a safe, convenient place for someone visiting the Los Angeles area. When visiting such a big metropolis... more travel advice
marinarena's Related Pages
El Segundo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Segundo - California - USA"
- "Basaic El Segundo Page"
- "We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn"
- "Experience the Unusual, Quaint Charm of Oil City"
- "El Segundo - The Party Place"
- "Business Friendliest City in LA County"
- "Small-town feel near LAX"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Segundo
- Hotels in El Segundo
- Transportation in El Segundo
- Nightlife in El Segundo
- Restaurants in El Segundo
- Shopping in El Segundo
- Warnings and Dangers in El Segundo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Segundo
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to El Segundo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Segundo
Photos in El SegundoSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 225 reviews, 529 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 90 reviews, 205 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 56 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 38 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 4 travelogues
- California Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues