"Can't-Miss Costa Mesa!" Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Mesa by marinarena
Costa Mesa Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 147 photos
She's not a beach, but she'll do!!
Costa Mesa, not along but just a few miles away from the Pacific, is an alluring suburb of Orange County, quite business savvy, friendly, clean and fashion-forward.
Don't miss Costa Mesa, especially if you happen to be in Orange County for a Disneyland visit. If you want to be entertained outside of D-Land and do some great shopping while being close to the ocean, you must come down here.
In simple Spanish, Costa Mesa means "Table Coast" or "Coastal Tableland". Hmm...not so attractive in English translation but for the most part, she is a beauty of a suburb.
Costa Mesa fits into my "Crushed Orange" concept well. The idea came partly from the film/book, "A Clockwork Orange ". I had always wondered the meaning behind the title and found out that it related to an old Cockney phrase "queer as a clockwork orange"-basically, a thing or person deemed a clockwork orange was internally bizarre but appeared normal on the surface...
For the most part, Orange County is a subdued American suburb with a wholesome, family atmosphere image. But as one discovers more within the county, one finds areas like Costa Mesa which has its share of deviation from "the norm". There are quite a number of some eccletic, independent shops down Newport Blvd which appeal to the youthful, alternative crowd. For the square folks out there, some city spots get a bit racy but nothing very shocking to drive away the many families who come to live and visit.
Little Kae on the carousel at South Coast Plaza.
Here are some premier spots in Costa Mesa:
South Coast Plaza (biggest, most luxurious mall in southern CA)
Fair Grounds (the official Orange County Fair location in the summer, with roller coasters, ridiculously/delicious fatty food, concerts and more!
South Coast Repertory (A premier playhouse in all of Orange county!)
Segestrom Hall, Performing Arts Center (An absolutely splendid venue to see various performances- opera, pop, theater productions, etc Some years ago, I saw a version of La Boheme here!)
Plus - a variety of pubs and clubs spinning out tunes of pop, rock, swing, hip hop and more.
- Pros:right by the beach, unique/varied shopping, great entertainment for a small town,hip nightlife and restaurants, 10-20 min from Disneyland
- Cons:traffic on Newport Blvd!, 405 fwy at peak times
- In a nutshell:A California place you may not know but one where to go!
Skosh Monahan is a classy, cool hangout that combines as an Irish watering hole, full sports bar with several flat TVs,... more travel advice
Adjacent to the main Segerstrom Hall is the gorgeous Henry and Renne Segestrom Concert Hall. The latter is suited for... more travel advice
marinarena's Related Pages
Costa Mesa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""My Home Town" kind of!!"
- "Can't-Miss Costa Mesa!"
- "Gateway to John Wayne Airport"
- "THE OC!"
- "Fun And Trill Rides"
- "In the heart of Orange County"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Costa Mesa
- Hotels in Costa Mesa
- Transportation in Costa Mesa
- Nightlife in Costa Mesa
- Restaurants in Costa Mesa
- Shopping in Costa Mesa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Costa Mesa
- 23 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Costa Mesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Costa Mesa
Photos in Costa MesaSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 205 reviews, 458 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 78 reviews, 147 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 44 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 28 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 38 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fullerton Intro, 31 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 27 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (21)
Latest Costa Mesa hotel reviews
- Country Inn and Suites by Ayres Costa Mesa
- 445 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Westin South Coast Plaza
- 405 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- The Hotel Hanford Costa Mesa
- 231 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Ramada Limited & Suites Costa Mesa/Newport Beach
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- Sea Lark Motel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Ana Mesa Suites
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 12, 2013
- Hilton Orange County/Costa Mesa
- 283 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Vagabond Inn Costa Mesa
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 30, 2012
- Marriott Suites Costa Mesa
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Sandpiper Motel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2012
- Ali Baba Motel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2011
- Comfort Inn Costa Mesa
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Best Western Newport Mesa Inn
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013