Anaheim Favorite Tips by marinarena Top 5 Page for this destination
Anaheim Favorites: 49 reviews and 98 photos
IHOP Anaheim, 24 hours location, California
Favorite thing: Once upon a time, Anaheim, for a major city, had minimal restaurant selection, but the big town has added a wonderful, popular array of establishments since the turn of the century.
Check my Ana restaurant tips for local options. However, here I list common chain restaurants I would recommend, within and outside of the Disney Resort:
Roy's Restaurant (Fine Hawaiian/Pacific Asian- fantastic happy hour)
McCormick and Schmidt (Seafood- great happy hour)
IHOP (America's fave pancake House, 2 separate 24 hour locations by Disneyland on Harbor Blvd.)
Mimi's Café (French/Euro influenced American food)
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse
Bubba Gump (Seafood with much love of Forrest Gump)
convenient 7-11, Anaheim, CA by Disneyland
Favorite thing: in the D-Land/Convention area by going to 7-11. Get your fix on junk food, and some surprisingly better food options, as well as shop for some less expensive Disney souvenirs (may include Mickey/Minnie ears, key chains, hats, glasses and toys).
The major 7-11 stop is at 611 West Katella, right at the corner of Harbor Blvd. Super, super busy but it is organized here. The location does have some solicitors at times and "shady" people hanging out there at times but surely safe and very efficient. Quick service food is replenished regularly since there is so much tourist traffic.It is a full scale 7-11 that offers a deluxe selection of food/drink and branded items (i.e. sliced pizza. Not all 7-11s have this). Get typical 7-11 food/drinks like the classic Slurpee drink, usually under a buck; "Big Bite" hot dogs are a steal for about $2; 2 for $2.22 snacks like the stuffed food rolls (with chicken, beef or cheese). Donuts and other sweets are under a buck and "gourmet" items like fresh deluxe sandwiches, mixed salads and pre-package sushi are $5 and under.
For a family of four that doesn't care about 4 star dining, you can get away with spending about $20-$25 on 7-11 food and drinks. That range would be a good challenge within the Disney Resort. For a single convention goer, the difference of a similarly selected quick meal at the convention and the convenient store could easily be $5-$10 bucks!
*Also down by the Gardenwalk is the 7-11 at 101 West Katella location. Also busy, not like the former though, and a "shade less, shady :-)"
Anaheim Packing district, downtown
Favorite thing: New development: Packing District!
Good things are coming to Anaheim- just you wait and you'll see. The city of Anaheim, once a bit on the bland and ugly side, is getting beautification, especially focused in downtown. The old Packing district is set to debut in full glory someone between 2013-2014 with an expanded plaza for central gathering, charming restaurants and unique small shops. As of now, there is Anaheim Brewery and the popular gourmet burger joint, Umami located in the Packing grounds.
Ronald Reagan Park, Anaheim, California
Favorite thing: Walking around beauty, taking in goregous views!
If you want to relive your childhood at the playground and rest amongst natural beauty, go seek out Ronald Reagan Park. Formerly, Toyon Park, the 16-acre area is a wonderful, gorgeous spot to play, rest,and take in stunning hilltop views of the area- all the while honoring the late U.S. president.
Favorite thing: Having a Carl's Jr treat in the home of Carl!
Anaheim is the physical and sentimental headquarters of the beloved Carls Jr fast food restaurants. The founding family of the chain restaurant, the Karchers, is quite famous locally with the late patriarch Carl Karcher, having appeared on advertisements.
Carl's Jr is popular along with McDonalds, Burker King, Jack in the Box and other fast food restaurants with hamburgers as the main menu item. Burgers from Carl's are char-boiled and fairly distinct in overall taste (at least burger lovers here do tell a difference!).
There are about 10 Carl's Jr restaurants in Anaheim and several throughout California. The headquarters of the company is at 401 Carl Karcher Way, and a nearby restaurant is along busy Harbor Blvd.
Allow a little indulgence of mine here :-) :
Nowadays, I rarely order a burger, but every now and then I go for one. Much more though, I love to get the Santa Fe char-grilled chicken sandwich, arguably the best, close to gourmet chicken sandwich one can get at a fast food joint! Though much on a fast food menu is not so healthy, one has to give some kudos for this sandwich to be featured. For one, the bun is wheat bread over white. Also, the char-grilled children is better than the greasy fried chicken. Lastly, it has a big grilled green chile for the southwest "Santa Fe" flavor. There is a zesty southwest sauce and cheese added to it as well but the cheese can be left out and the sandwich still has great flavor.
Disneyland shot, California
Fondest memory: What I take the most from Disneyland now(as an adult) is the look of it. The color schemes and archectural features are spectacular in many spots- more so than any roller coaster or some Mickey Mouse routine! Here's a little photographic advice: take pictures near some impressive building or facade or have someone else take a shot if you are including yourself in the photo. This shot was taken from from the Aladddin attraction from Frontierland /Adventureland area. ( The exact name of the Aladdin attraction is escaping me as of now....any Disneylandian freak help me out here!) The look here of course is something out of the Middle East - like Moroccan. Fool everyone by saying that you went to Marakesh and took this shot instead of Disneyland!! Hehe!!
More Reviews (44)
- See All Get Some Healthy Junk
- Heed to my Head's Up on Ana-crime
- See All Do Disneyland to Mall easily by bus: SCP...
- See All Be Smart, be frugal...
- See All Do Disneyland Resort in Spring/Fall if...
- See All If on extended vacation in Disneyland...
- See All Do Old Fashioned Bowling at Linbrook
- See All BYOW-Bring Your Own Water!
- See All Note the strong Middle Eastern influence
- See All Make it a D Night!
- On Parking!
Been to Anaheim?Share your travels with the world!
marinarena's Related Pages
Anaheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Disneyland on a Budget"
- "Another View of Anaheim"
- "The Happiest Place on Earth..."
- "Orange County"
- "Mission San Juan Capistrano"
- "b1bob's Mickey Mouse Anaheim adventures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anaheim
- Hotels in Anaheim
- Transportation in Anaheim
- Nightlife in Anaheim
- Restaurants in Anaheim
- Shopping in Anaheim
- Warnings and Dangers in Anaheim
- See All...
Explore the World
- Orleans Hotels
- Wilpattu National Park Hotels
- San Andrés Hotels
- Xiaguan Hotels
Badges & Stats in Anaheim
- 50 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Anaheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anaheim
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: Public transportation in LA"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Enjoy Lower Gas Prices in Anaheim"
- Wrote a Review Try Some of My Chain Restaurant Faves about Information / Sources in Anaheim Favorites
- updated a Anaheim Travel Page "Another View of Anaheim"
- Commented on one of marinarena's Anaheim tips
Photos in AnaheimSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 206 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 80 reviews, 159 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 49 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 32 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 38 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fullerton Intro, 31 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (22)
Latest Anaheim hotel reviews
- Sheraton Anaheim Hotel
- 793 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Ramada Inn Maingate Saga Anaheim
- 1199 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Staybridge Suites Anaheim
- 422 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Desert Palms Hotel And Suites
- 1121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Holiday Inn Buena Park
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Anaheim
- 291 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Ramada Limited Suites Anaheim Convention Center
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Quality Inn & Suites Anaheim Resort
- 477 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Cortona Inn And Suites Anaheim Resort
- 431 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Little Boy Blue Motel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Greenwood Suites Anaheim Resort
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013
- Del Sol Inn
- 374 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Castle Inn and Suites
- 590 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn-Garden Grove
- 309 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Disneyland- 223 Reviews, 566 Photos
- California Adventure- 69 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Gardenwalk- 5 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Honda Center- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Anaheim Convention Center- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Universal Studios- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Knott's Berry Farm- 2 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Edison Field- 4 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Farmer's Market- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- The Grove- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All Anaheim Things to Do