Oxford Things to Do Tips by marinarena
Oxford Things to Do: 394 reviews and 688 photos
Bridge of Sighs, Oxford, UK
The Bridge of Sighs (1913-4) is a noted landmark west of the town centre, located along New College Lane. The bridge is named after the famous Italian bridge "Ponte di Sospiri" in the enchanting city of Venezia. Due east in Oxford, near Abingdon, is the Thames riverfront. Around here are beautiful Venetianesque brick buildings, as captured.
Address: New College Lane/Bridge of Signs
Grecian-like Ashmolean Museum, Oxford
The buiding itself is a like lovely Grecian goddess. Nevermind that she is going through major remodeling renovation currently (mid-late 2007).
All of the great, comprehensive museums in England are not just in London. In Oxford, the Ashmolean is a must-do day trip for those who appreciate a variety of artistic style- from ancient Egyptian sculpture and artifacts, to Euro renaissance paintings and modern showcase featuring local artists.
Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 5pm
Sunday 12pm to 5pm
holidays: 10am to 5pm
Address: Beaumont Street, OX1 2PH
Directions: Beaumont/St Giles, North Oxford
Phone: 01865 278000
Pitts Rivers Museum display, England
What a wonderful treasure in Oxford, argurably the best in town. the Pitts Rivers Museum is an institution with a great wealth of cultural information with some of the rarest artifacts found in the world.
Something very tourist-friendly here is the free admission (though money contribution is very encouraged) and the fairly liberal photography allowance. I went snapping away but also read the informative wrute-ups on several of the exhibit items.
I cannot capture in words how much it is worth the time to spend here. I long to come back here and take in every corner of this place!
The museum is seperated on three levels: court, first and second floor.
-A curious thing that artists who would like to get inspired at the museum. Only dry materials are allow in the museum (no piants, etc). No leaning on the glass desks allowed. It is recommended to bring clipboards to use with drawing/sketch paper.
- Parking is rather limited here, especially during reconstruction efforts (Check website for updates on this). If staying in Oxford it's rather easy just taking public transportation to get here and most atractions instead.
- I found the toilet rooms and lifts very clean and convenient for visitors.
10.00 - 16.30 Tuesday to Sunday (and Bank Holiday Mondays)
12.00 - 16.30 Mondays
Address: Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PW.
Directions: short walking distance from Oxford's centre
Entrance in the museum is through the University of Oxford's Natural History Museum
Oxford, England (Oxford University Museum)
Goregous Minerals, ancient bones, dinosaur eggs, dead birds and marsupials- oh my! I was both favorably fascinated and creeped out here at Oxford University Natural History Museum (not to be confused by the Museum of the History of Science). There is a great variety of specimens to view up close from the classes of geology, entomology (insects) and zoology (mammals).
Kids and adults alike who has that special jurassic fascination will absolutely love it here, especially since many of the dead animals can be touched. Many will also like the Alice in Wonderland displays, featuring original manuscripts by the town's very own son, Lewis Carroll, who frequently visited the museum.
Check website for family-friendly events going on at the museum.
For those disabled needing accessibility, pay extra attention to the section on access on the website (listed below)
open from 10 AM -5 PM (17:00)
Sunday, 2 to 5 p.m.
Closed on Mondays.
Address: Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3 PW
Directions: Pitts Rivers Museums is featured inside
overed Market mural, Oxford
For your unique pastry eating and shopping needs, one has to go to Covered Market a few times on your Oxford visit. To fix my morning craving, came back a few times for my sausage pastry alone. There are quite a few places to go for pastry, meats, cheeses adnd other fresh food daily here. Besides eating, there is a a variety of specialty shopping options here: for finding that special teacup, Kipling purse or another British knick-knack. I'll highlight some market shops as general or restaurant tips at some point.
Address: High Street
Directions: centre of Oxford
Christ Church, Oxford, England
Christ Church, besides the geographically college-sparsed University of Oxford itself, is considered the main attraction of the town of Oxford. Regardless of religious affiliation or atheist preference, the site is a must memrely to see.
One a few occasions, I visited here and for about 50% of the time, it was raining. I managed to get some nice exterior shots and spned quality time inside the cathedral. When visiting, refer to the gate custodian for best times to visit. Portions of the site are closed off to tourists regularly to allow worship and students service. Though somehow managing to get in for free in the church along with my group (kind offer made for us including a wheelchair bound relative), admission prices are :
adults : £4.90
"family ticket":£9.80 (not entirely sure but family likely means 3-5 in a family. Website doesn't make clear of this. Refer to custodian when in oxford)
Christ College is both a college and Catholic cathedral.
Monday to Saturday: 9am - 5pm, and Sunday: 1pm - 5pm
Last Visitor Admission at 4.30pm
Address: Christ Church, Oxford, OX1 1DP
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 01865 276492
More Reviews (9)
- See All See charm by Head of the River & Folly...
- See All Have a well-crafted cake (and eat it...
- See All Spend time along the Thames in Abingdon
marinarena's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Gown Town"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cow Springs Hotels
- Berastagi Hotels
- Chiredzi Hotels
- Ingiriya Hotels
- San Antonio Aguas Calientes
- Providenciales Island
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 15 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
Photos in OxfordSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 203 reviews, 448 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Intro, 75 reviews, 143 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 43 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newport Beach Intro, 28 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 38 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fullerton Intro, 31 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 27 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Oxford hotel reviews
- Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons
- 554 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Macdonald Randolph Hotel
- 907 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- St. Michael's Guest House
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 26, 2012
- Nanford Guest House
- 292 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Richmond Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Old Parsonage Hotel
- 258 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Oxford Backpackers Hostel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 5, 2013
- Casa Villa Guest House
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2009
- The Sportsview Guest House
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Best Western Jersey Arms Hotel
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Days Inn Oxford
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Tower House
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Premier Inn Oxford
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Rewley House
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013
- Oxford University & Colleges- 84 Reviews, 194 Photos
- Christ Church- 29 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Punting- 16 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Bodleian Library- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Bridge of Sighs- 15 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Magdalen College- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Sheldonian Theatre- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Radcliffe Camera- 16 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Museums- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Oxford Castle - Unlocked- 6 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Oxford Things to Do