"Just south of Washington D.C." Springfield by spartan
Springfield Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 10 photos
In 1946 Realtor Edward R. Carr conceived the master plan for the Springfield Area. He had studied maps of Northern Virginia and discovered that Springfield had the last sizable accessible tract of undeveloped land within a 12-mile zone around Washington DC. It was 1952 before the sewer and water lines were installed and plans were approved to build the first houses; 2000 houses were completed by 1955. Because of indistinct boundaries, Springfield's population is hard to define, see what The U.S. Census Bureau has to say about Springfield today. The U.S. Census Bureau also has a great map of Springfield as well as the rest of the US. Its definitely worth a visit!.
Springfield is located in the southeast portion of Fairfax County, about 13 miles from the nation's capitol. West Springfield, Franconia, Burke and Newington are neighboring communities considered to be part of greater Springfield. The Army's Fort Belvoir is just south of town and Alexandria, with its historic Old Town is northeast.
There is a central highway hub notorious for rush hour. There is housing stock ranging from postwar to currently under construction. Abundant facilities include Lake Accotink, a 70-acre lake on over 400 acres of parkland.
Dave's Baton Rouge Salad (chicken, Tasso Ham & shrimp saute?d with chopped veggies, creole seasonings and creamy... more travel advice
A fun and lively place where you go for a great meal at a decent price. If you are looking for an appetizer, then I... more travel advice
spartan's Related Pages
Springfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just south of Washington D.C."
- "As I learn more"
- "Springfield, VA"
- See All...
- Hotels in Springfield
- Transportation in Springfield
- Restaurants in Springfield
- Shopping in Springfield
- Warnings and Dangers in Springfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Springfield
- 14 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Springfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Springfield
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 68 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 35 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Vallarta Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Columbus Intro, 45 reviews, 22 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oceanside Intro, 23 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues