"spartan's new Texarkana Page" Texarkana by spartan
Texarkana Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 49 photos
Visitors to the twin cities of Texarkana sometimes find themselves a bit confused. And it's easy to understand why. Texarkana is a border city where State Line Avenue divides Texarkana, Texas and Texarkana, Arkansas.
Who named Texarkana is up for debate. The popular version credits Colonel Gus Knobel who surveyed this section for the Iron Mountain Railroad right-of-way from Little Rock. The story goes that Colonel Knobel wrote Tex-Ark-Ana on a board and nailed it to a tree and remarked that this was the name of the town which was going to be built here.
Here's the rest of the story in case you're wondering. Colonel Knobel believed he was at or near the spot where the borders of three states met. So he named the city after these states - Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana.
The two cities are routinely referred to as the State Line Cities because the main thoroughfare, State Line Avenue, is the Arkansas-Texas border.
Texarkana's motto: Twice As Nice, appropriately conveys the political structure here. There are two of most everything: two city mayors, two city governments, two police departments, and two fire departments. Texarkana is a thriving metro-center serving nineteen counties in four states. A diversified economy is supported by manufacturing, agriculture, medical, transportation, and retail. Residents and visitors alike enjoy the moderate climate and a variety of recreational and entertainment activities.
spartan's Related Pages
Texarkana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Texarkana"
- "Texarkana - Small Town Mindset, Big City Services"
- "spartan's new Texarkana Page"
- "The great Twin City experience"
- "Texarkana, Texas"
- "10eke's new Texarkana Page"
- "~ Texarkana, Texas & Arkansas ~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Texarkana
- Hotels in Texarkana
- Transportation in Texarkana
- Restaurants in Texarkana
- Warnings and Dangers in Texarkana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Texarkana
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Texarkana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Texarkana
Photos in TexarkanaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 68 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 35 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Vallarta Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Columbus Intro, 45 reviews, 22 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oceanside Intro, 23 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues